Putting squares together

dixieredhead

Question

2 answers to this question

personally if the squares are a little smaller i would go around them once in SC in the same color as the last round before joining them. If there is a large difference in size i would make that a feature of the afghan and play it up by using another color or even texture around or join using a different technique.Have a play and see what feels/looks right to you.

When I did my comfortghans, very few of the squares were the same size, so I went around all of them with the joining color. Some I used sc, some hdc, and some dc, and even multiple rows to make them all the about the same size. I was quite frustrated that there was such a huge variation in size. I found the largest square, edged it in sc and then went around all the others until they were really close. Some were impossible to get to the same exact size, but they can stretch when you join them and then I always wash it before I send it, which helps to even out the squares. The ghan I did for Anne, looked really lumpy until I washed it.

To help remember who's square was whose, I took pictures of the ghan (one of the top and one of the bottom (before washing), and pieced them together as good as I could (with photo editing software) and then numbered the squares. Then I made a list of the numbers with the square contributor next to the number. That allowed me to remove all of the tags and wash it before gifting it.

Archived