Dish Cloth (types of cotton yarn)

I am new around here so please forgive me if this question has already been answered in the past. I'm making dish cloths and just found the Lion Kitchen Cotton 1 pound yarn in around 4 colors, but I bought it at Joanne's which can be a little pricey. I'm wondering, though, are there other places online who carry it? I checked a couple stores, like Smileys, but they didn't have it. Does anyone else work with this cotton yarn? It's really really nice for dish cloths.

If you make dish cloths and do not use the Lion kind, what do you use, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks!

Kelli :D

I really want to try the Lion Brand cotton but it's twice the cost of Sugar N Cream. I have used SNC for several projects and love it. I also get Peaches N Cream from Wal-Mart which is pretty much the same thing and it's a little cheaper. I actually use both the SNC and PNC as the colors aren't the same so I'm able to get more variety this way.

Beware: Once you start with cotton you'll be hooked! :D:D:D

I really want to try the Lion Brand cotton but it's twice the cost of Sugar N Cream. I have used SNC for several projects and love it. I also get Peaches N Cream from Wal-Mart which is pretty much the same thing and it's a little cheaper. I actually use both the SNC and PNC as the colors aren't the same so I'm able to get more variety this way.

Beware: Once you start with cotton you'll be hooked! :D:D:D

Well, what I've noticed actually, at least at my local JoAnne's is that the Lion Brand cotton comes in larger skeins than the Sugar and Cream, which comes in larger skeins than the Peaches and Cream. When I actually consider how much yarn I'm getting for my money, it has really worked out just about even between all of them. I generally go for the Lion as the color selection at the local JoAnne's is much greater than it is for the Sugar and Cream. I do not care for the color choices at Walmart for the Peaches and Cream at all. (And those are tiny, tiny, tiny little skeins you get for a $1.25). I do buy them all in cones when I can find them since they usually only come in white or ecru in the cones. Walmart definitely has the cheapest skeins at about $6 at our local store. They run about $10 at JoAnne's but with the coupon, it brings them down to the same price. So I usually end up buying them at Walmart so I don't waste a JoAnne's coupon.

There's also Aunt Lydia's cotton as well as Bernat's CottonTots.

And your LYS will have Cascade and Takhi cotton, though I'd be more likely to use those for fancy facecloths than kitchen accessories. They are definitely more expensive.

Yes, I buy the bigger cones at Wal-Mart, it's a great deal!!! Hmmm, our local Jo-Ann's has the exact same sized skeins (the bigger skeins) of it for $2.49 in Sugar N Cream and for the same amount of Lion Brand it's $4.99

They also carry the tiny balls that are the size of the little ones at Wal-Mart and those go for $1.29

Trust me, I look at not only the price but how much is included... If Lion Brand were even 50Cents more expensive I would try it, but not for double the cost, getting the same amount!

What bites is that I haven't found ANY other kinds of cotton here in town and Michaels is useless. They carry maybe 5 different colored balls in the tiny SNC and that's it. Actually our Wal-Mart has quite a selection and getting the big 1 pounders is a good deal. I hope the Hobby Lobby has a better selection! Now I just have to wait til they open!!! Hopefully before Christmas!!!

Yes, I buy the bigger cones at Wal-Mart, it's a great deal!!! Hmmm, our local Jo-Ann's has the exact same sized skeins (the bigger skeins) of it for $2.49 in Sugar N Cream and for the same amount of Lion Brand it's $4.99]

I was at JoAnn's today and checked the prices and weights. The Lion Brand was 3.99 for 5 ounces and the S&C was 2.09 for 3 and 4 ounces (depending on whether its variegated/ombre or solid colored). I just like the color selection of the Lion better.

My favorite cotton is Lion brand, but I've used them all. If you have a hard time finding colors you like in the Sugar 'n Cream, try "Mary Maxim" mail order catolog.

They carry the entire selection of colors!! (60 colors):knit2-1/2 oz.= $1.79

www.marymaxim.com

www.marymaximyarnboutique.com

Hi!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question thoroughly. I'm on my way to WallyWorld, for sure. I love the texture and look of this cotton yarn!! :hook

Kelli

Melanie,

The Bernat Handicrafter Cotton yarn that I find at Smileys is $1.00 for 80 yards. How many dish cloths do you that one of those will make? They have different colors, too!

http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=id&file=iriot.htm

Kelli

Holy cow!!!! I'm in Heaven!!! Yarn for a dollar and above!!!! And I can get Italian wool yarn for cheap, oh I think I'm going to faint :out . Sorry the thought of using some higher end yarn for cheap is making my head dizzy. Please don't misunderstand I have no adversion to using "cheap" yarn some of my best work is with "cheap" yarn. I love cheap yarn. I just would like to work with some expensive yarn just once.

Anyway, I had never heard of Smileys I am way to excited right now, my poor husband. :day

Carol,

Glad you like Smileys! I have never ordered from there, but I have been looking for a couple of months. There is a minimal order of $30, but that's pretty easy to do with yarn! LOL

Kelli

Archived