Is there really a difference?

lyrakristine

It's a silly question, but it got me thinking anyway:

I gave an old neighbor of mine (back in the Philippines) a doily and she said she'll treasure it forever "because it's made by a left handed crocheter."

I thought she meant that it's because lefties aren't really the norm but she said that there was a difference in the stitches. I didn't think there was any difference in the stitches, but then I haven't been around a lot of crocheters in real life, so I wouldn't know. The only thing I know is that lefties work from left to right and when I work on crochet diagrams I have to flip it. That's it.

So is there really a difference between lefty and righty crochet stitches?

The only possible difference I can think of is that the slant of the stitches will be reversed - but I'd bet that it would be impossible to look at a crocheted item and say "that was made by a left-handed crocheter!". In other words, no visible difference.

Wonder what she meant then? It boggles the mind. @_@

It sounds to me like it was a clumsy attempt at a compliment! :lol She was probably trying to find a way to identify it as something "unique". Some people have a hard time dishing out compliments, she just may be one of those. :blush I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

It sounds to me like it was a clumsy attempt at a compliment! :lol She was probably trying to find a way to identify it as something "unique". Some people have a hard time dishing out compliments, she just may be one of those. :blush I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Oooh, that must be it then. AWWW. :) I love that old lady even more now. :D

Archived