Couple of questions before I try...

PJ

First, sorry for the dumb post earlier...I should know better than to post something I should just look up in the archives! :oops

OK, so I got two patterns from Marlo's Crochet Corner and I cannot wait to try them. Just a couple of questions...

First, is the finished project going to be scratchy? The pictures I've seen are so pretty, but I was just wondering if the little fuzzies are scratchy or soft.

Second, is wool colorfast? I saw some pretty Patons merino wool that I'd like to try, but I'm not sure if doing a cream and some darker color would turn out right.

Thanks in advance!

Once it's fulled, I tend to use scissors and trim down the fuzz a little (some people use an electric shaver but I don't think DH would like that ! :lol ), which makes it less scratchy and more soft fuzzy.

As for the colorfastness -- depends on the wool. The best thing to do is to make a swatch with stripes in the stitch that you are going to use on the fulled item and then felt/full it and see if the colors run or not. In general sometimes the color will seep out a bit but won't run (I doubt the Patons will have any color issues).

Since you really need to do a swatch anyway to see how much it will shrink while fulling, it's not so bad! (and if you make it big enough, you can make a cute little tiny matching fulled change purse with the swatch!).

Hope that helps. :)

-jess

I used the Paton's merino.. and it comes out pretty soft.. not scratchy at all. As for being colorfast - the red and light gray that I swatched ran very little... only enough to give it a really cool effect.

Just remember to full your finished object in a zippered pillowcase. Otherwise your washing machine is gonna be a fuzzy mess!

Good luck! :)h and remember to post pictures! :camera

So far, nothing I've felted has been scratchy. I've used Irish wool which was scratchy before felting, but soooo soft after... Fisherman's wool, which was soft before and super soft after (my son adores the slippers I made him with it) and then I have used Noro (expensive but oh so nice to felt!) I made a small bag out of that, to be worn around my neck and wore it today while I was out, no itchyness at all.

So far, the wools I've used have been colorfast... even the one I dyed with kool-aid didn't run in the hot hot water when felted. But I've never used the one you're planning to use, nor have I used a light and dark color together. Swatching is probably your best bet, as suggested earlier =)

Good luck! Can't wait to see =)

Archived