Yarn swift & ball winder

Horsy

Question

Does anyone here ever buy yarn done up in hanks (HORRIBLE method of put-up)?  

I did, and I am sorry.  I also got a swift & winder.  I ever-so-carefully removed the hank from its paper label and yes, you're right - within 5 seconds flat, it was a tangled mess.  My son is trying to clear the mess.  (He builds computers, where you have tons of cables needing to be routed this way & that.)

Yesterday, I spent an hour untangling my first attempt to deal with the hank, to the point where I got maybe 50 yards into a ball and then I gave up.  So, we are onto Hank #2.

I'd like to hear about your experiences.

In the meantime, I can't grasp just why probably 95% of yarn mfrs can trouble themselves to make their yarns into skeins or balls, yet the rest of them cannot be bothered.  Are they colluding with the swift & winder manufacturing industry?  

Thanks for listening.  I am so monumentally irritated. 😒  My more technical minded son says that this second hank he is fooling with looks like it was tangled even before we  removed the paper label and I think he might be right. 

7 answers to this question

Yes I have lots of hanks in sock yarn. 😁

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/what-is-a-hank-a-ball-a-skein-2117241

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/winding-a-ball-from-hank-of-yarn-2116505

My first experience was similar to yours. Some shops use to offer winding for a fee, but said shipping would also increase because it’s now bulkier…

Untangling

https://www.darngoodyarn.com/blogs/darn-good-blog/answers-for-beginner-knitters-and-crocheters?_pos=9&_sid=b4dc5a89c&_ss=r

I thank you so much for your trouble.  I wish to point something out:  I ordered 2 colours of yarn (of the same #3 cotton) - some marled (2 colours) and some solid colour.

The solid colour ones were no trouble.  Everything went normally. These hanks went on the yarn swift like a charm.  

The bi-coloured ones are the ones which were tangled from the beginning.  They look as if they had maybe come out of their paper label and then stuffed back in any old way. 

Maybe I should ask the seller.  In the meantime, I will avail myself of your links.  Thank you so much.

On another topic, I keep wondering what will become of all those folks whose houses were permanently wrecked from the hurricane.  WHERE do they go? 

I bought one hank once.  That was the last time, I got so frustrated with the tangled mess that I tossed it.  I don't have the patience to deal with that. lol 

I don't pull from the center of a skein either because if it gets tangled, I get too frustrated. 

Edited by Lacycrochet
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Horsy said:

I thank you so much for your trouble.  I wish to point something out:  I ordered 2 colours of yarn (of the same #3 cotton) - some marled (2 colours) and some solid colour.

The solid colour ones were no trouble.  Everything went normally. These hanks went on the yarn swift like a charm.  

The bi-coloured ones are the ones which were tangled from the beginning.  They look as if they had maybe come out of their paper label and then stuffed back in any old way. 

Maybe I should ask the seller.  In the meantime, I will avail myself of your links.  Thank you so much.

On another topic, I keep wondering what will become of all those folks whose houses were permanently wrecked from the hurricane.  WHERE do they go? 

Hmm I would check with the shop since you got it local. I know I have dealt with hanks that were more twisted and wanted to tangle on the swift. Slow going trying to wind those. 

Some are in local shelters, some were given or lent campers from private groups or neighbors and I’ve heard some are in tents. Brrr

1 hour ago, Lacycrochet said:

I bought one hank once.  That was the last time, I got so frustrated with the tangled mess that I tossed it.  I don't have the patience to deal with that. lol 

I don't pull from the center of a skein either because if it gets tangled, I get too frustrated. 

I LUV my new yarn spinner holders for that reason…center pulls can become a tangled web of yarn. 

• Like 2