Can I Substitute Crochet Hook Size for Friends of Pica Pau Patterns?

FoggyFeather

Question

I want to crochet some patterns from the Friends of Pica Pau books. The patterns call for a 2.75 mm crochet hook with DK or light worsted weight yarn. I only have 2.50 mm and 3.00 mm hooks. Will using one of those instead of the recommended hook make a big difference?

3 answers to this question

Probably not; individual gauges vary a bit, I've run into a lot of times where my gauge is different from the designer's. 

For a stuffed toy (which I'm  guessing this is), I'd probably choose the smaller hook because you want a solid fabric, but your item is likely be a bit smaller than the original (depends on your stitch gauge versus the designer's).   Or, swatch with both (in the round, assuming that is how the item is made) and see which looks better to you. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Probably not; individual gauges vary a bit, I've run into a lot of times where my gauge is different from the designer's. 

For a stuffed toy (which I'm  guessing this is), I'd probably choose the smaller hook because you want a solid fabric, but your item is likely be a bit smaller than the original (depends on your stitch gauge versus the designer's).   Or, swatch with both (in the round, assuming that is how the item is made) and see which looks better to you. 

Thank you.

I use different size hooks lots of times. I sometimes a smaller hook for stuffed items. A larger hook might not make a solid enough fabric, and the stuffing might show through.

Ellie 13