Crochet designing

Lets all crochet

Question

Hey everybody! I would like some help with research! I hope this is okay to ask..I am creating free resources for any crocheter who wants to write their own pattern and create their own design! I would love to know what is stopping you/ what struggles you face while creating your patterns.

Reach out to me if you can answer a few questions! 

Thanks! 

2 answers to this question

This is a US-centric response, as that is where I am:  I would suggest designers go here https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards and look at 'how to read a crochet pattern', and follow what it says to use the format and phrasing to write their patterns.  It covers turning chains, how to write instructions correctly for brackets,  parentheses, repeats and other things in the standardly accepted way.  This site's info is written and adhered to by American yarn, hook, needle and craft publication companies.  

I would say it is pretty important to have at least 1 other person test a budding designers' written pattern.  Example, I tested a doll pattern where the designer had another tester as well, and we both initially ended up making legs that were too long because one phrase could have been interpreted in 2 ways, and both of us followed the wrong way!   

• Like 1