Red Dog

RED DOG

Question

I am still working on this vintage pattern, with your help I figured out the flower motifs.  I am on the 11th round and it says **Sc in next loop, * Ch 5, sl st in 3rd st from hook for picot, repeat from * once, ch 2, skip next loop, repeat from ** all around, join.  

I understand how to do a picot, and where to go in the loops, but it looks like its telling me to do 2 picots together and then ch 2, it seems simple enough but I am confused.  Thanks in advance for help with this.

11 answers to this question

Two asterisks (**) aren't usually a repeat but more like a  'marked spot in the pattern'.  They are sort of using it both ways here.  Pasting so I don't have to scroll: 

**Sc in next loop, * Ch 5, sl st in 3rd st from hook for picot, repeat from * once, ch 2, skip next loop, repeat from ** all around, join.  

This means you are to do the following:

Sc in next loop,

Ch 5, sl st in 3rd st from hook for picot

Ch 5, sl st in 3rd st from hook for picot

ch2, skip next loop

The above 4 instructions are the repeat 'all around', I hope that makes sense?  The red lines are going to make a chain 'arch' that has 2 picots in it, I make a lot of doilies and that isn't an odd thing to have happen.  

Oh wait, is this the Ivy Rose Doily?  I printed that out but haven't started it yet (I've been re-designing this in my head since our last conversation).  This looks like round 11, somewhere between the center flower and the diamond shapes; my printout of the photo is terrible (I usually use draft mode), but for a vintage doily of this era (I'm guessing 1940s by the style) to have a chain loop with a couple of picots in it is not unusual, and that's what looks likely in the photo..

Edited by Granny Square

"So you do make the 2 picots and then ch2"  Well, kinda; what you wrote above sort of makes it sound like you are thinking it's 2 picots together, but I may be mis-interpreting what you meant. 

What "Ch 5, sl st in 3rd st from hook for picot, repeat from * once, chain 2" will look like (sort of), is:

--(---)--(---)--

OK, it's hard to type a straight line and imagine it's a loop, but the parts in the parentheses in my drawing just show the grouping of 3 chains that are the picots.  I hope this makes sense and I'm not confusing you further.

I need to dash off for an appointment, if this still clear as mud hopefully someone else will weigh in.

edited, not showing each stitch for the picot, but maybe more like this  --°--°--. where the ° is a picot. 

Edited by Granny Square

Back from appointment.  Sorry my responses are a little haphazard, I answered one question but not the following one.

"I assume where the pattern says join in 3rd st of chain they are referring to the ch 3."  The stuff I was answering above was '3rd stitch from hook for picot".  

Where I am seeing "join in 3rd st of chain", the round started with a chain 3 (which stood in for a DC, so the chain 3 is the 'turning chain', but you aren't turning here).  So it is saying to join the last stitch of the round, to the top of first stitch of the round, which is topmost chain of the initial chain 3.

12 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Back from appointment.  Sorry my responses are a little haphazard, I answered one question but not the following one.

"I assume where the pattern says join in 3rd st of chain they are referring to the ch 3."  The stuff I was answering above was '3rd stitch from hook for picot".  

Where I am seeing "join in 3rd st of chain", the round started with a chain 3 (which stood in for a DC, so the chain 3 is the 'turning chain', but you aren't turning here).  So it is saying to join the last stitch of the round, to the top of first stitch of the round, which is topmost chain of the initial chain 3.

Thank you so much for all your help.  I got it now. 

I thought I was okay and started to do RD 11 but on the 10 RD it says it says to join in 3rd st of chain so I am supposed to go into the 3rd stitch of the ch 6 and are the 3 chs that are left over considered the next loop for RD 7. I am so confused I just can’t figure it out.  I hope you can help me.  Thank you for your time.

Chains can sometimes be a turning chain that takes the place of the first stitch of a row, or a horizontal span between solid stitches, or they can be both.  The last is pretty common in doilies.

The prior round (10) had you reposition your starting point with a slip stitch, then started with ch 6, 1 dc, and then a series of ch 3, 1 dc in specified spots.  The first 3 chains of the chain 6 was a turning chain that 'took the place' of a (vertical) DC, and the second 3 chains was just a horizontal chain space.  If you keep reading, following this is a consistent pattern of chain 3, DC, so it all matches up--so good news, you were on the right track of your guess that the extra chains were the chains space for the next round.

Correct; "SC in next loop' means to stick your hook under the loop and form the SC around the chain space.

Comment; you could also choose to work it in the center chain of the chain space, but I rarely do except for filet (it makes the blocks a little squarer for me); in lace like this, which gets aggressively blocked by me, working around the space, I think makes it a tad sturdier, plus there might be advantages to let it slip around a bit.

2 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Correct; "SC in next loop' means to stick your hook under the loop and form the SC around the chain space.

Comment; you could also choose to work it in the center chain of the chain space, but I rarely do except for filet (it makes the blocks a little squarer for me); in lace like this, which gets aggressively blocked by me, working around the space, I think makes it a tad sturdier, plus there might be advantages to let it slip around a bit.

Thank you so much for your time and help.  I really appreciate it.