Help with Pattern

LoveCrochetKingdom

Question

Hello Crochetville

I hope everyone is having a great week. I'm sorry to bother you with this question but I have never seen a pattern with this specification before. "*This pattern is for personal use only! Do not sell this pattern or reproductions of this pattern for profit.*". Does this mean I can't sell the final product or any portion of the pattern? I would never sell someone else pattern as mine I have too much respect for pattern writers, it is not an easy thing to do. I want to respect the author and not do anything that might get me sued. Thank you in advance. 

3 answers to this question

Exactly what Legalwoman17 said; copyright pertains to the written words and images only, so it is 100% illegal to photocopy a pattern from a book or magazine and distribute the pattern in any way (because YOU don't have the RIGHT to COPY it), but is not illegal to to crochet a sweater from a written pattern and sell the sweater. 

The sentence in black in your post is just the pattern author paraphrasing the US copyright law, notice she is using the word pattern very specifically, and is a warning she may come after you if she catches you illegally distributing her pattern.  

One example, It's not illegal for me to put a link here on this site, to a another site that is a blog with someone's original pattern on it, because I'm just guiding you to where the owner has offered it for viewing in a publicly accessible way; however it is illegal for me to copy the the entirety of that pattern here on this site (or elsewhere) because I don't own the right to do so.  (However, there are plenty of members who do post their own patterns here).  

• Like 1