Red Dog

RED DOG

Question

I am making a pansy doily.  This should be so easy but I could you use some help. Rnd 1: (Right side) Starting at center, with pansy color, ch 6, join with sl st to 1st ch to form a ring. Ch3 (counts as first dc now and throughout), 2 dc in ring, ch3, (3 dc in ring, ch3) 4 times; join with sl st to first dc. (15dc and 5 ch-3sps). I get all that except what does it mean starting at center?

Rnd2:  Sl st to ch 3 sp, ch4. (Counts as first tr), 12 tr in same sp, 12 tr in next ch3 sp, sc in center dc of next 3 dc group, (7dc in next ch3 sp, sc in center dc of next ch3 group) 3 times; join with sl st to first tr. ( 26 tr, 21 dc an 4 sc). I only come up with 25 tr not 26.  Also does it mean to do 12 tr in the ch 4 sp and the next 12 in the ch3 space?  I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

5 answers to this question

ch 6, join with sl st to 1st ch to form a ring

So you start with that, and that is the center, you will be working from the middle out to make the doily. They didn't actually need to say that, I can see how it would be confusing. I hope that helps.

8 minutes ago, Courtney0508 said:

ch 6, join with sl st to 1st ch to form a ring

So you start with that, and that is the center, you will be working from the middle out to make the doily. They didn't actually need to say that, I can see how it would be confusing. I hope that helps.

Thank you very much for that.  Did you see my question about Round 2?  

Sl st to ch-3 sp,ch4 (counts as 1st tr), 12 tr in same space, 12 tr in next ch-3sp, sc in center of next 3 dc group,{ 7dc in next ch-3 sp, sc in center dc of next 3-dc group} 3 times; join with sl st to first tr. (26 tr,21 dc and 4 sc)

I get 25 tr not 26 unless you are supposed to do the ch 4 twice.  What do you think?

Thank you

Round 1: The words 'starting at center' is just a sanity check explaining and orienting you to 'where you are'  before starting the first step. Chaining 6 and joining at the ring is the center of the doily that everything will work outward from, and the next round is made around this ring - when it says 'chain 3, DC in  ring' the ch3 takes the place of the first DC, and then 'in ring' means to make the DCs around the ring, meaning you stick the hook under the ring, and when you make put the hook over the ring, pull the yarn from under the ring, up over the ring, and pull the yarn thru.

At the end of round 1, did you end up with the stitch count that it says you should have had (15dc and 5 ch-3sps)?  Because if you didn't, it could throw off round 2, which is one of your questions.

Pasting the instruction and your comment after rnd 2 round so I don't have to scroll:  my notes in red

Rnd 1: (Right side) Starting at center, with pansy color, ch 6, join with sl st to 1st ch to form a ring. Ch3 (counts as first dc now and throughout), 2 dc in ring, ch3, (3 dc in ring, ch3) 4 times; join with sl st to first dc. (15dc and 5 ch-3sps)." this is the stitch count at the end of round one, does this agree with what you have?  The pattern adds up correctly according  to my count.

"Rnd2:  Sl st to ch 3 sp, ch4. (Counts as first tr), 12 tr in same sp, 12 tr in next ch3 sp, sc in center dc of next 3 dc group, (7dc in next ch3 sp, sc in center dc of next ch3 group) 3 times; join with sl st to first tr. ( 26 tr, 21 dc an 4 sc).  I only come up with 25 tr not 26.  Also does it mean to do 12 tr in the ch 4 sp and the next 12 in the ch3 space?"  The "slip stitch to chain 3" is changing the position of the start of the round to a different place than round 1 started.   Just like the center ring, when a pattern says you work into a chain space, it means around the chains that form the space.  You can put a boatload more stitches 'into' a chain, than there are chains so you are correct in your guess that this means 12 TR in the first ch-3 space, and 7 in the next

OK, let me count round 2, starting with the chain 4:

ch4. (Counts as first tr), 1 TR

12 tr in same sp, 12TR

12 tr in next ch3 sp, 12  --  SUBTOTAL OF TRIPLES IS 25 AT THIS POINT

sc in center dc of next 3 dc group, 1 SC

(7dc in next ch3 sp, sc in center dc of next ch3 group) 3 times;  21 dc AND 3 SC 

join with sl st to first tr. ( 26 tr, 21 dc an 4 sc).  My count: 25 TR, 21 DC AND 4 SC

I am off by 1 Triple, and am not spotting it, the same as you.  I don't think that you are supposed to do the chain 4 twice, because that is the 'turning chain.  If this were my pattern, I'd look at the next round in the same way, and see which number would be the right TOTAL count for the next round to go into.  I have also been known to surreptitiously add or subtract a stitch to get a row to add up....you might do what I did and break down the NEXT round and see what it looks like.  

An encouraging note, maybe -- I make a lot of doilies, there are few I don't have to to redesign a little for the purpose of getting them to lie flat, sometimes they ruffle and I have to subtract stitches if it doesn't look like it's going to block out, or subtract stitches if it's cupping.   Edited to add--this is not to fix design flaws typically, it's typically due to my stitch height not matching the designers'--stitch height is a big deal for something center out in the round.

Edited by Granny Square

20 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Round 1: The words 'starting at center' is just a sanity check explaining and orienting you to 'where you are'  before starting the first step. Chaining 6 and joining at the ring is the center of the doily that everything will work outward from, and the next round is made around this ring - when it says 'chain 3, DC in  ring' the ch3 takes the place of the first DC, and then 'in ring' means to make the DCs around the ring, meaning you stick the hook under the ring, and when you make put the hook over the ring, pull the yarn from under the ring, up over the ring, and pull the yarn thru.

At the end of round 1, did you end up with the stitch count that it says you should have had (15dc and 5 ch-3sps)?  Because if you didn't, it could throw off round 2, which is one of your questions.

Pasting the instruction and your comment after rnd 2 round so I don't have to scroll:  my notes in red

Rnd 1: (Right side) Starting at center, with pansy color, ch 6, join with sl st to 1st ch to form a ring. Ch3 (counts as first dc now and throughout), 2 dc in ring, ch3, (3 dc in ring, ch3) 4 times; join with sl st to first dc. (15dc and 5 ch-3sps)." this is the stitch count at the end of round one, does this agree with what you have?  The pattern adds up correctly according  to my count.

"Rnd2:  Sl st to ch 3 sp, ch4. (Counts as first tr), 12 tr in same sp, 12 tr in next ch3 sp, sc in center dc of next 3 dc group, (7dc in next ch3 sp, sc in center dc of next ch3 group) 3 times; join with sl st to first tr. ( 26 tr, 21 dc an 4 sc).  I only come up with 25 tr not 26.  Also does it mean to do 12 tr in the ch 4 sp and the next 12 in the ch3 space?"  The "slip stitch to chain 3" is changing the position of the start of the round to a different place than round 1 started.   Just like the center ring, when a pattern says you work into a chain space, it means around the chains that form the space.  You can put a boatload more stitches 'into' a chain, than there are chains so you are correct in your guess that this means 12 TR in the first ch-3 space, and 7 in the next

OK, let me count round 2, starting with the chain 4:

ch4. (Counts as first tr), 1 TR

12 tr in same sp, 12TR

12 tr in next ch3 sp, 12  --  SUBTOTAL OF TRIPLES IS 25 AT THIS POINT

sc in center dc of next 3 dc group, 1 SC

(7dc in next ch3 sp, sc in center dc of next ch3 group) 3 times;  21 dc AND 3 SC 

join with sl st to first tr. ( 26 tr, 21 dc an 4 sc).  My count: 25 TR, 21 DC AND 4 SC

I am off by 1 Triple, and am not spotting it, the same as you.  I don't think that you are supposed to do the chain 4 twice, because that is the 'turning chain.  If this were my pattern, I'd look at the next round in the same way, and see which number would be the right TOTAL count for the next round to go into.  I have also been known to surreptitiously add or subtract a stitch to get a row to add up....you might do what I did and break down the NEXT round and see what it looks like.  

An encouraging note, maybe -- I make a lot of doilies, there are few I don't have to to redesign a little for the purpose of getting them to lie flat, sometimes they ruffle and I have to subtract stitches if it doesn't look like it's going to block out, or subtract stitches if it's cupping.

My count was correct on round one so on round 2 I just added one more tr and when I did RD 4 it came out perfectly.  Thank you so much for your taking the time to help me.