V1nn13ee

Hi, I’m a new member and I am looking to start my own business. I plan to sell crochet items and I was wondering if any of you guys have tips on how to do a start up on it. It’s called Green Flan Pans. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Welcome!  I have no idea, but if you navigate back to the main menu here, and scroll almost to the bottom, there is a section 'crochet as a business' and there are probably existing threads that may help you, or of course you can start your own thread there.

I don't sell things I make, but places I've been where folks sell craft items are likely losing money; customers don't want to pay more for a 'thing' than they would pay for the same machine-made 'thing' at Walmart, and customers expect to spend less because it is 'home made'.  At many craft fairs I've been to, I KNOW people are offering to sell things at a price that covers the cost of yarn, but not their time.  Customers don't appreciate that a blanket for example, can take dozens of hours to make, and they might see a ball of yarn for $3.99 on an end cap at Walmart and think a couple of those balls are probably enough for a blanket that could be whipped up in an hour.

Another observation is that people may spend more for a hand made item if proceeds go to a charity; I sew, crochet and knit and have bought handmade items of all those crafts that I could have easily made for less, because it was useful and I was supporting a good cause--but that doesn't help a business startup that is trying to make a profit.

• Like 1