Crochet end stitches rows

Nicolapen

Question

Crocheting waistcoat stitch in rows with 1 normal SC in each end stitch. Any tips to keep even tension in the end stitches and have less holey edges. Hole seems to be created when inserting hook

I will be crocheting SC down sides but think that might make holes bigger

6 answers to this question

I assume it has a turning chain (confession, I've never done a project in waistcoat stitch but read the 'how to' when I first heard of it, I believe it is the same or very similar to a short single crochet).  You might try omitting the turning chain and see how that goes, it might depend on your stitch tension.  I make a fake DC turning chain with a SC and a SSC into that without a turning chain, so it is possible to make a SC-like stitch without the turning chain.

Or, make a point to snug up your turning chain as much as possible, since you won't be stitching INTO it.

I just tried this stitch for the first time, and didn't have the same problem at the edges so I don't have any other ideas that might help you, hopefully someone else will come along with better ideas.  However, I make sort of tight-ish stitches so that may have something to do with it; I actually had trouble getting my hook into the right spot to form the stitches properly, so I'd probably need to go up a hook size or 2 which would make things looser and undoubtedly not solve your issue....

Real knit stockinette (which this imitates) is much easier... (I know, not helpful).  

Edited by Granny Square