Help with tiny bee pattern

Clare T

The Illustration looks like a basic granny square, with a slightly non-basic center round.  It's too bad the illustration is not in color, I'm sure it would make more sense what your next move would be if it was; is there a color photo elsewhere in the pattern?  Often when I have questions on a pattern the pattern photo answers them, not just color but construction-wise.

R and Y seem to indicate colors (red and yellow maybe?), and later I'm seeing Br which might be brown?  There is an abbreviation section that I can see part of in the right bottom corner that may answer your questions, I can see that "R=re" before the edge of your scan cuts it off, so I'm guessing.  I'm going to guess that 'gr' means 'group', as in 3 US DC (or 3 UK trebles).  It is always a good idea to read the abbreviations and special stitches section before picking up your hook, as well as reading thru the pattern first to see if there is anything you don't understand ahead of you.  Also, the pattern mentions a diagram. I'm not sure if that is the sketch at the bottom left (but that doesn't help with the color).

You 'join Y' partway thru the 'bee' section, and wrap 2 strands of Y around the bee later.  I'm undoubtedly overlooking something but I'm not spotting 'from Y' in your copy above.

To join a new yarn to a chain (or top of a stitch) in general (which is a not uncommon thing when changing colors or starting a new skein):  stick the hook into the indicated chain or stitch top, pull up a loop of the new color and also pull the tail of the old skein/color all the way thru so it's not on your hook any more, and continue with the yarn that's connected to the new skein you've just joined.  You'll have to snug up the loop you pulled thru if you cut the old color / run out of the old skein since it's not connected. Later, weave in the tail securely (and leave enough tail to do this (at least 6") and weave in several directions to ensure it won't come undone and destroy your fabric .

Welcome to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.

I am not much good with these kinds of instructions.  Perhaps if you ask in the Crochet Help, you may get more help there.  Have you tried writing out the instructions.  It might help if it is written down and as you write it, a "So that is how it is done" moment happens.  I do that a lot with patterns I have trouble with.