Help me with this gauge problem!

poemfish

Question

I am making "Miss Essie's Hat" on page 72 of the fall 2005 issue of Crochet Fantasy.

It calls for 1 skein of Wool-ease Thick and Quick and a size N hook. The gauge is 8 1/2 dc and 6 rows per 4 inches. It is worked in dc.

When I measured my gauge I was right on the money 8 1/2 stitches dc per 4 inches. BUT my row gauge was about FOUR rows for 4 inches! I have never had a gauge problem where one was right and the other was wrong and I don't know how to fix it.

Needless to say, the hat will be way to long and I will run out of yarn before it is finished. Any suggestions?

3 answers to this question

if your only issus is the hight of the stich that can be worked with. while making the hat just don't do so many rows. If it calls for say 20 rows only do 15 and see how long it is. I make hats all the time for a non-profit org and have learned that hat can be improvised very easily. Hope this helps some. :)

Just as tweety suggested, you will just need to alter your row count. Depending on whether the pattern is worked top down or bottom up, it can be confusing. If the pattern is worked top down, you will probably need to delete one of the increase rows and several of the straight rows. If the pattern is bottom up, it will take a little more figuring of where to start the decrease rounds, but with a little trial and error you should be able to work it.

Perhaps try the pattern guage with hdc and see how that works out for you. It would probably be a whole lot simpler if the hdc fits the guage rather than trying to adjust the rows (unless you have done it before).

It may be a typo in the pattern.?

Archived