Basic pattern help dc2tog

Ashley P

Question

I’ve been working on an Easter basket for a couple weeks. Since I’ve started the basic pattern, the basket’s shape is getting wider with each round instead of cinching in or stabilizing. Pattern as written is listed below, and what I’ve been working is below that!

basic pattern instruction - Continually work dc2tog. Draw the 1st loop out the last insertion point, draw the 2nd loop out through the following st so that you insert in 1 st twice. There are now 3 loops on the hook. 1 yo and fasten off all 3 loops.

My take- standard dc2tog, but start in the last insertion point 

thanks so much!!

2 answers to this question

Thats interesting.  I did a 2 round dc base and then tried the instructions.  So making a dc in previous insertion is like you were going to make  an increase but since its crocheted together with next stitch as a crochet 2 dc together its cancelled out.  My mock up is cupping like it should.  

Edited by bgs

@Ashley PI work out you should have the same number of stitches each round. You should insert your hook twice into each stitch of the previous round. Each stitch straddles 2 stitches of previous round. See example below

Stitch 1 + stitch 2 - 1 dc2tog

stitch 2 + stitch 3 - 2 dc2tog

stitch 3 + stitch 4 - 3 dc2tog

stitch 4 + stitch 5 - 4 dc2tog

stitch 5 + stitch 6 - 5 dc2tog

stitch 6 + stitch 1 - 6 dc2tog

Edited by Nicolapen