Shell Stitch Help Please :)

CutieinCurlz

Question

I am making an outfit using the shell stitch and for this pattern the stitch is made by 2dc, ch1, 2dc. I have made my initial row of shell stitches and the next row says to do a shell stitch in each shell but does that include the chain one so I would be making a total of 5 shells in each shell instead of 4 (if I were to not stitch in the chain 1)?

14 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I am going to assume you are in the US and the pattern is in US terms (because shell stitches are most typically in US DC) made in US DC,), or UK Trebles if you are in the UK and were thinking the shorter UK DC, which is US single crochet, which would only take 1 turning chain.

For US DC (UK treble), the turning chain is 3 chains, not 1.  So you had the right idea, but the wrong # of chains.

The turning chain would NOT be part of any shell, it is just there because you need a way to get the yarn up to the level of the next row.  After the last shell in row 1, chain 3, turn, and make a shell in the chain 1 space of the first shell in the row below.  (you can put a lot of stitches into 1 stitch, or around a chain-1 space).

Edited to add, the shell stitch in your pattern is also called the Iris stitch, it is a type of shell stitch called a V-stitch.  I'm linking to a video tutorial so you can see how it works; the first screen shows how 1 Iris stitch goes into the center of the Iris stitch in the row below.  The chain 1 in the middle of the stitch is part of the stitch; all variations of V stitches have some chain scheme in the middle..

Edited by Granny Square

So this is the directions for the first row that the shell stitch is incorporated and then the row I'm currently on:

Row 11: ch 2, Turn. 1 dc in next stitch, skip 1 stitch., (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next stitch (shell made), skip 1 stitch, 1 dc in next stitch, repeat across, dc in last 2 stitch. 

Row 12-15: ch 2, turn. 1 dc in next stitch, Shell in each Shell, increase to 2 dc between Shells across to end, 2 dc in last 2 dc, ch 2 turn.

This is the actual piece I'm making:

https://favoritelittleprincess.blogspot.com/2013/06/easy-baby-sweater-and-hat.html

Edited by CutieinCurlz

Your pattern uses 2 chains versus 3 for the turning chain--whichever works best with your stitch height.  I make short-ish stitches and probably 2 would work fine, but I make 3 out of habit; 3 is standard for DC per the Craft Guild of America.

Notice the rows end with the equivalent of 2 DCs on each end, counting the chain 2 as a DC.  It is very common to end and start a row of a pattern stitch in the same way so they match.

• Like 1

I looked at the photo of the sweater.  It shows increases between the shells first going from 1 dc to 2 dc between shells and then later increasing from 2 dc to 3 dc between shells.  The shells are all made the same.  Pattern would have told you if you were to change how to make the shells.  

The pattern specifically says to work 2 dc between the shells on rows 12 thru 15.  Study the photo.  You can see the 2 dc between the shells.  Looks like row 12 you work 2 dc into one stitch of previous row.  Then rows 13 thru 15 you work 1 dc into 1 dc of previous row and work 1 dc into next dc of previous row.  I cant emphasize enough to study the photo with the pattern.

Row 12-15: ch 2, turn. 1 dc in next stitch, Shell in each Shell, increase to 2 dc between Shells across to end, 2 dc in last 2 dc, ch 2 turn.

Edited by bgs

Pattern says: Row 12-15: ch 2, turn. 1 dc in next stitch, Shell in each Shell, increase to 2 dc between Shells across to end, 2 dc in last 2 dc, ch 2 turn.

You asked "So how do I do rows 12-15 in regards to the 2 dc in between the shells? Do I just do 1dc? "

The pattern is not wrong, you want to do exactly what it says.  The skirt/dress part below the body ADDS stitches from the yoke down, that is obvious from looking at the photo; the hem is wider than the underarm area.  The pattern specifically says to add stitches: "increase to 2 dc between Shells across to end"

Why do you think Bgs and the pattern and the pattern photo are wrong and that you need don't need to add stitches?  How is the hem going to get wider without adding stitches around?  I'm not expecting an answer nor trying to put you on the spot, just pointing out ways to figure things out on your own by asking the same questions of yourself (this is how I learned, I didn't have anyone to ask before the internet).  

Edited to add, when I was working things out by myself as a new crocheter way back then, I always followed what the pattern said precisely even if I didn't quite see where it was going.  Most of the time I'd think "well that was a clever way to do this, I learned something new" and when it didn't work I could make an educated guess between the words and the photo,  how to get it to look like the photo.  Back then I was working with vintage published patterns (mostly from the 1940s, I think) which were more terse than modern ones, but I rarely found errors; now with self published patterns on blogs, some designers write clear and accurate patterns, many however not so much.

Edited by Granny Square

rows 13 thru 15 where pattern says increase to 2 dc between shells you work 1 dc into 1 dc of previous row and work 1 dc into next dc of previous row.

Look at photo of sweater.  You can see row 12 where you increase to 2 dc between the shells.  You can see where the 2 dc are placed for rows 13 thru 15.  Then you can see where the stitches are place on row 16 where you increase to 3 stitches between the shells.

Ah, I think I see where the issue is, and yes you are right, it could have been clearer.  If the designer gave stitch count totals for each row would have removed any doubt.

I believe what is meant is, you do the increasing on row 12, then make row 13-15 with the same stitch count as row 12; this gives a gradual widening.  If you increased also in rows 13, 14, and 15, you'd probably get a ruffle.  You wouldn't want to lessen the stitches between the V stitches.

Guessing that row 16 might have you adding stitches more stitches too, possibly in a similar way.

1 minute ago, Granny Square said:

Ah, I think I see where the issue is, and yes you are right, it could have been clearer.  If the designer gave stitch count totals for each row would have removed any doubt.

I believe what is meant is, you do the increasing on row 12, then make row 13-15 with the same stitch count as row 12; this gives a gradual widening.  If you increased also in rows 13, 14, and 15, you'd probably get a ruffle.  You wouldn't want to lessen the stitches between the V stitches.

Guessing that row 16 might have you adding stitches more stitches too, possibly in a similar way.

Yes it could have been written better but a quick look at the photo really helps.