Enid Sinclair Floral Skirt

La-La

Question

Hello folks

Has anyone found or put together a pattern for the floral skirt worn by "Enid Sinclair" on the Wednesday series?  I would love to make one for each of my 3 nieces.  I could dig through all my leaflets and books and maybe approximate a pattern for 4 or the 5 types of flowers.  I think that search through my  files may take too long for me to keep my inspiration for the project. 😁 If a pattern for the skirt is not available yet,  a pattern for the 5 flowers would be very helpful.

thanks in advance!

Linda

8 answers to this question

I don't have Netflix but here is an article on her outfits https://wornontv.net/wednesday/enid-sinclair/

I assume you mean the skirt in the bottom row, with pieced together flowers?

I've been crocheting since around 1970, in the era of hippies and flower power, and around that time I saw afghan patterns not unlike that skirt; sort of a crazy quilt of different sized flowers put together, and the color scheme of pink and orange takes me back, too.  I'm also reminded that flower looms were a thing (I still have one, somewhere...), it was basically a plastic circle that you'd stick pegs into, and wrapped yarn around the pegs in a certain way to make flowers of different sizes.   This was a long time ago, but I think there was a pattern to how they were arranged, in other words not random like the skirt.

I think you will not be likely to find a pattern for that very skirt (even vintage), but there are undoubtedly patterns out there for blankets or maybe shawls (they were big back then) put together that way that you can borrow the concept from to make the skirt.  The skirt in the photo looks sort of A-line, but if I were making this I'd make a straight tube with a solid waist band and put elastic in the waist band.

Edited by Granny Square
fix spelling

Here is a pattern for a 'flower power' style flower https://ltangleyarn.blogspot.com/2016/05/groovy-flower-power-barefoot-sandals.html; perhaps you  could get the look of big and little flowers by making them in different weight yarn. 

I'm not finding pattern that assembles random size flower motif patterns (they may be out there, but beyond my google-fu).  There are a gazillion flower afghan sort of patterns, even that aren't made in squares, but the flowers are all the same size; you don't want the skirt to look like an afghan.

The costumer for the movie probably made and assembled the motifs in a 'freeform' manner, which is sort of like a 'crazy quilt'--there IS no pattern, probably a bunch of random sized motifs of different sizes were put together and other motifs made to fit to fill in the holes.

Edited by Granny Square

This is in German unfortunately (well unfortunate unless La-La speaks German).  BUT, it is a good example of what a skirt with the same size flowers put together would look like; I was searching for items with different sized flowers like the original; this would be a lot easier to assemble.

I need to run off for a bit but will look for a similar free pattern.

That's pretty; the original had different sized flowers which would probably be tricky to assemble into a skirt without a lot of trial and error; I think the pattern you chose would be easier to design a skirt  'from scratch'.  It definitely has the same 1960s-70s vibe.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:16 PM, Granny Square said:

I'm not finding pattern that assembles random size flower motif patterns

I don't think the pattern is random. I enlarged the picture from the website you provided and, although it's quite fuzzy, you can see a definitely regular pattern in the placement. 
And also see the Zara version here and here and also here. It shows the flowers much more clearly. Of course I am not sure whether the pattern is exactly the same one (as the original picture is fuzzy), but the placement is well-visible. 

enid-floral-crochet-skirt.jpg

enid-floral-crochet-skirt 02.jpg

enid-floral-crochet-skirt 03.jpg
I also don't think it's crochet. Look at this zoomed-in picture: image.thumb.jpeg.00a6af145e8c77b2fdafdf5fe9815e8e.jpeg

I think it's a modern replica of lacet technique (Romanian Point Lace Cord, twisted to form petals, and filled with a needle) with a replica of Irish crochet netting to connect them.
Of course this doesn't mean that you cannot come up with a crochet version of the flowers and then use Irish crochet netting. 
This is what I mean by Romanian Lace embroidery. It's also used in crochet. My grandmother used to make things like that. She bought the "ribbons" readymade, pinned them onto waxed paper and then joined them with the needle. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e624599d0dd40901a1bc4ecc84a4c9d6.jpeg

Edited by irmar