Lynn

Lynn Chambers

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville!  "Jumping back" an unorthodox expression for a crochet pattern, and IMO inexcusably vague.

Is that the line of the pattern for that row or round, in its entirety?

Can you tell where you are in the pattern?  As in, could you be shaping an armhole for example?  If the pattern or the photo of the end item is on the internet, could you link to it?  This should undoubtedly help us give better help than the guesses I'm about to make.

Does the dress start top down and have a yoke?  This is a confusing construction the first time you do it, but not difficult (just hard to visualize); it involves making chains at 2 points that become the under-armholes after you fold it, that you later return to in order to work around them and the edge of the yoke to make the body of the dress.  You are connecting 2 points that you might not have expected to be before the fold happens, but 'jumping back' are not words I'd use to describe it.

I have also seen lace patterns that have you not have you work in a linear way by having you turn, slip stitch across x stitches you just made, turn again, and continue with a new starting point for rounds.  Not sure if this is what was meant, but that came to mind by the phrase 'jumping back' and makes a tiny bit more sense than my yoke guess above, but I'm not confident that this is right either.  

Sorry I can't be more helpful without more information.

Took me a while to figure this out and the designer was no help.  Glad to see you could figure it out.  I just got back to that part of the pattern and what it was, she had me chain 7 then jump back.  Which meant that you chained 7 turned and crocheted into the first stitch of the row.  It was a button hole for me.

Glad you were able to figure it out.  Sometimes it just takes sitting back and rereading the pattern.

I seem to be crocheting the same dress. But I cannot work it out at all. To clarify the dress is worked in rows until this point. After that I have no clue what happens due to not understanding the instructions!!!!

Ch7 and by jumping back 37sc. ???????

Brilliant!!!!! Thank you so much. I did wonder if it was button holes. The pattern is badly translated, but it produces such a lovely doll, ideal for my granddaughter whose going through a "goth" phase!  

Again thank you so much for your help. You are a lifesaver! Xx