American Flag

GrandmaBr

Question

I am crocheting the American flag and I am to the part where you start the navy part.  I don't want to have to keep on changing the colors.  Can I keep on going red stripe, white stripe, and when I am completed go back and add the navy?

Thank you for your time.

Bev

4 answers to this question

How will you add the blue after you are done with the stripes.  Are you planning on doing the stars separate?  I can not see how you can do it without changing the color to add the blue when you are done.

Unless you make the blue, sew it on, then make the stars and sew them on.  More work than necessary.

Agreeing with Tampa Doll that sewing the flag pieces together would be more work, but also look less than ideal to have seams.  And there is no reason to have seams.  If I'm imagining this correctly, yes you will have to change colors but that's no more than putting 1 color to the side and picking up the other color - which should be easier than you think, there is no need to cut the yarn and weave in a million ends.

If you are working back and forth, and half of the row is color 1, and the other half is color 2, and this continues for many rows, what happens is:

Row 1: work across in color 1 for to the transition point, change to color 2 without cutting color 1, work color 2 to end. turn.

Row 2: color 2 is still attached, so work across using color 2 until the change point, change to color 2 without cutting it, pick up color 1 that you left hanging and work with it across.

And so on.  There is always a new yarn waiting for you when you need it this way; there is a little 'nuisance' of having 2 balls of yarn hanging off the piece, but that's not a big deal compared to the end weaving time you are saving.

How are the stars made?  I would probably work them tapestry style if they are not designed as sew-on.  If that is new to you, it's where you work (usually) in 2 colors, working 1 color A over color B, then when you need color B, pull color B up and work over color A.  More details at this site. If they are designed as sew-on, to do this tapestry style you would need to use stitch markers to mark the positions of the stars ahead of time