Skin tone yarn

angiesuebilly

Question

4 answers to this question

My condolences for the loss of your mother.

I am going to say some things that are going to sound critical, but I'm saying them to hopefully get you to an end portrait that you will be happy with. 

Stepping around the fact that there are a lot of human skin tones, and going at this as if you were going to make a 'painting' in a reasonable likeness of your parents, and mixing shades of paint to do so-- look at your dad, the top of his head is in the sun and is quite a bit lighter than under his chin and the right side of his face.  Your Mom's face is in more sun and is overall brighter, her forehead is quite a bit lighter than under her nose and chin.  You are going to need several shades of peaches and tans and browns to get close to capturing this photo.  If you ignore the shading, and I mean no insult to your crochet talent, but they are going to look flat, like Charlie Brown and Lucy in a Sunday newspaper cartoon.  You could mitigate the sun and shade contrast somewhat, but you will need some shading in there.

I presume the red grid are to represent the C2C blocks.  These blocks are much too large to get any recognizable detail, you wouldn't be able to recognize Charlie B. and Lucy if you converted a comics frame in a similar way.  Most portrait blankets use SC to create a picture with worsted weight yarn, so at the very least I'd turn each of the squares you have drawn into 4 .

Here is an article that illustrates what I mean about 'your squares are too big'.  I didn't try to count the squares, but they are a LOT tinier in relation to the whole picture than yours are and still Mikey's pic is pretty pixilated.

Here is a program that makes a grid for you (for free).  I took your photo and ran it thru with the fewest # of grids, 48x64, which it is not very clear but has twice the amount of detail as your grid would have.  See the PDF file below.

afghan photo processed small.pdf

Edited by Granny Square

It came out a lot better on the medium size, but obviously the more pixels, the better the outcome.  Edited to add, the photo I ran thru had your red grid lines on it, so you'd want to process a photo without the red lines.

afghan photo processed medium.pdf

Edited by Granny Square

So sorry for the loss of your Mother.  My heat goes out to you.

Yes there are many skin tones, and I try to use either leght peach or pale pink.

Now as for a graph, I found one person only who will make a graph from a picture and she was very, very expensive.  I promptly lost her name.  Anyway, If you can, you would have to take the picture with you to find a good match for the skin tone. 

I would love to see this when you are done.  I am sure it will be beautiful.