Help understanding a pattern

RachaelW

Question

Hi, I’m quite new to crochet so I apologise if my query seems silly or basic. 
I’ve been trying to following a pattern which started with a magic ring and 6 sc which is fine.

The next line said inc *6 (I understood to be 2 sc into each of the previous 6)

The line after this then says: Sc, 6inc

I understand sc but the 6inc stopped me in my tracks as I assumed it was different to inc * 6.

Is anyone able to shine some light on this instruction? It’s probably simple and I’m overthinking. 

4 answers to this question

You will single crochet in the first stitch, then with the other 11 stitches you will increase 6 times in those stitches.  

Exmp.  sc - inc. - sc - inc.- sc - inc.- sc - inc.- sc- inc. sc - inc sc - inc. and so on till you reach 18 stitches.  it is sc  with inc every other stitch.

No your question is not silly.  Its unfortunate that so many patterns are written in a type of shorthand rather than the conventionally accepted standard. You have to treat these patterns like  puzzles, look for clues,  and throw in some trial and error to see what works.  And like puzzles the more pieces we have the better chance we have of figuring it out.  You look at photo of what you are making and figure out how to get there.  It helps if they give the stitch counts for the rounds so you can check the math---how many stitches are made and how many stitches were used.

So you started with a magic ring and made 6 sc into it so 6 stitches for that round.  Round 2 inc 6 times so 2 stitches made into each of 6 on round 1.  6 stitches used 12 made.  Round 3 somehow we need to do what it is telling you and use all 12 stitches.  Did you give us the complete instructions exactly as they are written because that is extremely important? Punctuation also matters in how to interpret it. sc, 6 inc alone does not make a lot of sense.  As written that would be 1 sc made into 1 stitch of previous round, followed by 2 sc made into each of the next 6 stitches which means 13 stitches made bit only 7 stitches of the 12 on previous round used.  They may want you to do that for some sort of shaping but there should be more instructions finishing out the round.  Now It is common when making something round to start with 6 sc in first round.  Then 2nd round has you make 2 sc in each of the 6 sc in round 1.  Round 3 often has you alternate sc into 1 stitch, 2 sc into next stitch around which would be 6 times and  you would use all 12 stitches on round 2 and make a total of 18 stitches in round 3.

Unfortunately no the pattern does not list the number of stitches. It’s to make a spot to put on a giraffe and that line simply said “Sc, 6inc” and the next was “Fasten off”.

In reply to Tampa Doll there is another segment in this pattern that needs (Sc, inc) * 6 which sounds like what you are describing there, so I had thought that the current instruction wasn’t that ☹️

Thank you everyone for your replies so far.