cccrochets

Question

Hello everyone! 

I am trying to formulate a pattern for couch cushion covers (those of you who have pets will understand). Currently we use 3-4 mismatching throw blankets to protect the cushions, but I wanted to crochet something more esthetically pleasing. What I am looking to do is essentially make a fitted cover for each cushion. My main question is how to I make sides from a bottom panel with corners and how can I make the bottom taut so the covers done move. Basically I want to crochet what will look like a fitted sheet for each cushion but don't know how to create the sides/corners required. 

Thank you!

1 answer to this question

I can't think of a way to 'make yarn not stretch and get baggy', it's the wrong medium for a sofa cushion cover - a throw pillow, sure, but not a cushion to be sat on.  You'd need to use mercerized thread (it comes in thicker than doily size),  string or cording. You would be better off sewing fabric slipcovers for the cushions (seriously, you could probably do all the cushions in an afternoon, or maybe a weekend-day max).  I don't have a pet now but when I did, I used a small (purchased) tightly woven cotton throw rug that didn't have a non-skid underside, and was smoothly woven; it was fairly impervious to cat claws.  She 'knew' that was her spot and was generally pretty good about it.

As for the shape, the easist way is to make a rectangle that will fold over at the edges to cover the sides; the shape is a rectangle with it's corners cut out - see diagram, in 1 corner I drew an arrow, bring those inner edges together and sew them together, repeat for each corner. (I hope that makes sense)

If you do this out of woven fabric, same thing - except cut it out with a 1/2" seam allowance all around.

You might think about a purchased woven whole-sofa cover that is meant for this, and is washable, and would be more impervious to claws than a crochet one - one example, another , or this - the last 2 are similar to one I used to have -- there are bunches of different styles - also probably not much more $ than crocheting something that wouldn't work as well.

Sofa cushion cover shape.jpg

Edited by Granny Square