Can I use DK wool for an aran pattern

Abixxlou

Question

Hey! 

I'm in a little bit of a pickle. I found a pattern online and it said to use worsted weight wool. it linked the bran and I can't get it here in the UK and I thought stupidly worsted weight was the same as DK. (don't ask why) so I bought some DK wool, went to do the tension and it wasn't working so I asked my FB group and they said its because of the wool weight. 

Is there anyway I can use a DK with this Worsted weight pattern?

I can get the aran wool in its just I was looking forward to starting this pattern tonight and now I can't.

Any help is appreciated ❤️

5 answers to this question

If I understand DK is like a sports or lite Worsted Weight yarn.  It will not be the same as regular worsted weight yarn.  You can try a larger hook to give you the gage you want.

Agree with trying a bigger hook.  Here are US yarn weights are measured in 'wraps per inch', DK(3-'light') is 11-15 WPI, and Worsted (4-medium) is 9-12 WPI.  If you're lucky, the pattern used a DK that's on the 11 WPI end of the scale (fewer wraps = thicker yarn).  

Hopefully like Tampa Doll said a larger hook will work and give you a fabric that won't be too loose.

Whether you can knit a DK pattern in Aran. The best indicator of this is the tension quoted in the pattern and size of needles used. … Double knitting (DK) yarn is 22 stitches and 28 rows, to 10 x 10 cm, over stocking stitch, using 4mm needles. Aran yarn is 18 stitches and 24 rows, to 10 x 10 cm, over stocking stitch, using 5mm needles. With the same wool, bigger needles will give bigger stitches, and a looser fabric. Smaller needles will give smaller stitches, and a tighter, warmer, denser, harder-wearing fabric. … If you get more stitches than the label says, you are a tight knitter, and need to use a slightly bigger needle to get gauge.

Welcome to the 'ville May D., I agree with what you said except the point that there is 1 gauge only for 1 needle and 1 weight of yarn*.  Yarn weight is a range of WPI not an absolute as I pointed out earlier, and humans are are all different.  The 'right' gauge is the designers' gauge using the hook and yarn he/she chose, however bizarrely different that gauge may be from yours or mine, if we are trying to make something that will precisely match the pattern's gauge.

This is true of knitting of course, however a knit or purl is exponentially** less complex than the construction of crochet stitches that form fabric, and the latter's stitch forming height and width is more subject to human variation IMO.  I do both crafts (I'm wearing a knit sweater I made now, actually).  Knit stitches are just loops on a needle.  Crochet stitches that form fabric are more complex and subject to more 'human' variation.

*Per the US Craft Yarn Council:  DK weight yarn 21-24 spi for knit stockinette, 12-17 spi for crochet single crochet st.  Note both are ranges, also note the upper limit  in SC is nearly 50% higher than the lower, and also that the 'tool size' range for each is different.

**Knit or Purl = insert needle in st on left ndl, pull up a loop with the right ndl take it off left ndl.  Crochet = The simplest (common) fabric-making stitch, SC, is insert hook in st, grab a loop and pull thru stitch, grab a loop and pull thru the loop on the hook.  (This makes another loop on the hook, but there's always 1 there until you finish at the end--there's only 1 stitch to 'bind off'.)

12 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville May D., I agree with what you said except the point that there is 1 gauge only for 1 needle and 1 weight of yarn*.  Yarn weight is a range of WPI not an absolute as I pointed out earlier, and humans are are all different.  The 'right' gauge is the designers' gauge using the hook and yarn he/she chose, however bizarrely different that gauge may be from yours or mine, if we are trying to make something that will precisely match the pattern's gauge.

This is true of knitting of course, however a knit or purl is exponentially** less complex than the construction of crochet stitches that form fabric, and the latter's stitch forming height and width is more subject to human variation IMO.  I do both crafts (I'm wearing a knit sweater I made now, actually).  Knit stitches are just loops on a needle.  Crochet stitches that form fabric are more complex and subject to more 'human' variation.

*Per the US Craft Yarn Council:  DK weight yarn 21-24 spi for knit stockinette, 12-17 spi for crochet single crochet st.  Note both are ranges, also note the upper limit  in SC is nearly 50% higher than the lower, and also that the 'tool size' range for each is different.

**Knit or Purl = insert needle in st on left ndl, pull up a loop with the right ndl take it off left ndl.  Crochet = The simplest (common) fabric-making stitch, SC, is insert hook in st, grab a loop and pull thru stitch, grab a loop and pull thru the loop on the hook.  (This makes another loop on the hook, but there's always 1 there until you finish at the end--there's only 1 stitch to 'bind off'.)

Chirs! You're right