Drop Loop

Caryl

Question

2 answers to this question

I would stop and read all the instructions to the point where you return to that spot you are leaving 'undone', to figure out the reason for doing this.  It might be because the action of finishing off, and rejoining later, would cause a more unsightly 'spot', compared to not finishing off, cutting the yarn (leaving a long tail) and securing the last stitch with a safety pin in the meantime, and invisibly rejoining later would. 

This comes to mind because this is what I do when I reach the end of a skein in something seamless in the round where you can't plan ahead and change skeins at a seam, I join the next skein to the tail of the old one with a braided join or Russian join and keep going.  Either of these are really hard to see the join spot. 

I can't imagine why using the other end of the skein shouldn't work, but I'd still read ahead.

19 hours ago, Caryl said:

Per the instructions, how do I "drop loop from hook, but do not fasten off" and then continue crocheting in a completely different area of the garment? Do I use the other end of the ball of yarn to continue?

If all you have left is 1 ball of yarn, you could use the other end of the yarn very carefully.  You wouldn't want to create a tangled mess.  I've done it with store packaged skeins.

If you are nearly finished with what you're making, it would be easier if you go to the other end of the yarn and wind off a separate ball. 

I hope the designer reminded you to secured that loop with something like a stitchholder or a safety pin so that your work doesn't unravel in that spot.