Tidings from the Heart of the U.S.

KateyLynn

Hi. My name is Katelyn and I'm from Ohio, the Heart (shaped state) of the U.S. I'm 25 and have four younger siblings. I always wanted to learn to crochet after watching my left-handed mom for years, but didn't take the initiative to teach myself when she told me she couldn't teach me because I was right-handed. I couldn't go over to my grandma's as often because the moved from their block-away house to a house quite a drive away, and I didn't (still don't) have a license. I'm still relatively new to crocheting, having started two years ago and been intermittently practicing. I've made a few little hearts here and there, and last year I started a scarf and a hat, and this year I finished a different scarf and am working on a hat. I lost my mom in July this year, and have so many of her unfinished projects. I came here to find out if I could finish them without messing them up, or would I have to start over?

Hi KateyLynn, and welcome! 

I'm so sorry about your mom, and at such a young age (both of you).  I do get why she said she couldn't teach you because of other-handedness, I tried to teach a lefty friend eons ago and felt bad because I couldn't manage to 'do' left, and she couldn't follow me by mirroring my moves.  (edit, like Tampa Doll said, by sitting across from her up close; it was probably me, not the mirror method in general--this was in high school and I'd have been a new-ish crocheter).

On your 'finishing or starting over' question--I suspect (but I'm not sure) that starting to work 'other' handed in the middle of a project might make a difference that would be noticeable--hopefully someone more familiar with left/right will chime in here.  If it was a pieced thing, like granny squares, I'd guess no one would notice.  If you were both same-handed, I'd say the biggest concern would be hitting her gauge.

I have read posts where some have finished a relative's item and made some sort of change that made it evident that "this is relative's part", like for a blanket, having the relative's portion the middle section and adding a wide border around for example.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁

It is difficult to teach someone who uses the other hand, but I have heard the mirror method works.  That is where they sit opposite each other.  You are looking at the person who is directly across from you , like a mirror.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...