Super Basic Pattern Question

Ray1234

Question

I know this is really simple, but pregnancy brain has me second guessing what my total stitch count should be at the end of the base row. Pattern is below:

”Chain 115. In the 3rd chain from the hook, work 1 DC. Work 1 DC into each of the next chain spaces.”

Edited by Ray1234

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  The US Crochet Guild of America defines a turning chain for DC as 3, and that turning chain counts as a stitch.  Most conventional pattern sources conform to these standards. This means after making a chain the first real DC is made in the 4th chain from the hook, not the 3rd - this leaves 3 chains for the "turning chain" that stands in for a stitch, meaning it is treated/counted as a stitch later.  Your designer apparently uses 2 chains for turning.  The key is, are the 2, not 3, chains skipped in your pattern, supposed to count, or not count, as a stitch?  How many sts. does the designer say you should have?

It's possible to use 2chains to turn for DC and not count it as a stitch, but the edges will be a little wavy.  At the end of rnd 2, does the designer say to stitch into, or skip, the turning chain at the end of round 1?

Oh dear, I see I'm typing more slowly than NCcountrygal today!

I meant to add - per the CGOA ''rules', if a row is straight DC, you chain 2 more than the # of DCs you want to 'be' in that row.

In your head - chain 4, DC in the 4th chain from the hook (in other words, the chain next to the slip knot).  This creates 2 DCs, one is the real DC, the other is the 'turning chain' of the 3 chains that you skipped.  So NORMALLY you'd chain 2 more than the number of DCs that you should end up with.  This is what you will find in conventional patterns, but a lot of self published patterns are not conventionally written.

NCCountryGal- Nope, unfortunately no total stitch counts at the end of each row written in this pattern 😪.

Originally I thought it should be 114 (chain 115, skip essentially 2 chains by dc into third chain from hook, and counting skipped chains as a stitch). But of course I’ve second guessed myself now and I’m not sure that’s right. Is that what you were getting at too? I’m using velvet yarn which is really hard to just see the chains, so I’m banking on counting at the end to make sure it’s all okay before moving on to row 1. 

Granny Square- I thought I remembered being taught to chain 3 for DC, but the designer consistently chains 2 in this pattern. There are some other wonky things in the pattern, but I fell in love with the way the blanket looks so I’m just going to go with it lol.  I’m going to post the row 1 instructions to see if that helps clear things up.

“The chain 2 turning chain counts as the first stitch. Work 1 front post DC (FPDC) around each of the next 6 DC. *Work 1 back post DC (BPDC) around the next DC. Work 1 FPDC around each of the next 13 DC. Repeat from * across the row, working the last 7 dc with FPDC, (do nothing with the starting skipped two chains.) CH 2 and turn.”

Ok, great that it clarifies that 2 turning chains counts as a stitch.  Let me throw out a 'mental exercise' that I've repeated here a few times on the 'how may chains do I make for an end DC count of x? question:

Conventional turning chain=3 and counts as the first stitch> chain 4, skip 3 chains and DC in the first ch made.  You have created 2 DCs, 1 real one and 1 functional one in the turning chain, so (conventionally) you chain 2 more than the end count of DCs you want to make.

Your pattern, turning chain=2 and counts as a stitch> chain 3, DC in the first ch made.  You have created 2 DCs, 1 real one and 1 functional one in the turning chain, so in this pattern you chain 1 more than the end count of DCs you want to make.

I also want to point out, when a turning chain counts as a stitch, you turn, chain (whatever number) skip the first stitch you encounter (which is the last st you just made in the prior row), and make the first real DC in the new row into the following stitch.  Reason: the turning chain isn't actually in the stitch you skipped, but counts as if it is; if you forget that, and don't skip it, you will have accidently increased.

• Like 1