Help with pattern

madi2000

Question

hi!

I am having trouble starting a pattern for braided cable blanket. The pattern that I am trying to do is a little more complicated than I am used to working on. I would appreciate some help understanding it. 

Here is where I getting confused, it says: 2nd row: Ch 1. 1 sc in each of first 2 sts. (1 dcfp around post of next dc) twice. *1 sc in each of next 5 sts. Ch 1. Skip next st. 1 sc in each of next 5 sts.** (1 dcfp around post of next dc) 9 times. Rep from * to last 4 sts, ending last rep at **. (1 dcfp around post of next dc) twice. 1 sc in each of last 2 sts. Turn.

I don't understand what a dcfp is. The instructions say that it means to Yoh and draw up a loop around post of indicated stitch, inserting hook from front to back to front. (Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice. but i am still confused. 

Does any one know what this means?

Thank you for your help,

Madi

2 answers to this question

dcfp would be short for double crochet front post.  Usually I see it as fpdc or front post double crochet.  It is a regular double crochet but is made around the post of a designated stitch.  

https://www.yarnspirations.com/ultimate-guide-to-crochet-post-stitches.html

https://www.edieeckman.com/2018/11/13/front-post-back-post-double-crochet/

I've never seen it abbreviated that way - meaning the letters are right, but in the 'wrong' order - it's more commonly 'front post double crochet' or FPDC, not 'double crochet front post/DCFP', but that's sort of splitting hairs - I'm mentioning it because I think the more common version FPDC has more info if you google it.  Oops, I see Bgs has just posted as I'm typing.

There is a front post DC, and a back post version.  The 'post' of a DC is the body of the stitch itself, not the top loops that you normally stick your hook under.  For a front post, you want to 'pull' the body of the DC 'in front' of the fabric, by sticking yarning over, inserting the hook to the right of the post, across the back of the DC, and back to the front on the left side of the DC, yarn over and complete the DC.  This lifts the post, and the stitch made into it, a little frontward compared to the stitches around it.