Please help me figure out this stitch/pattern

Hmmulcahy

Question

Hello all! 

I have been teaching myself to crochet from videos on youtube, but am still super amateur. There is a blanket that my grandma started before she died, which was before I was born. I'd really like to finish the blanket to give to my dad for Christmas. It seems like it is a simple pattern if I just knew exactly what it was.

Any help is super appreciated.

IMG_20211113_224249.jpg

IMG_20211113_224716.jpg

IMG_20211113_224731.jpg

Edited by Hmmulcahy

6 answers to this question

Traditional granny square 

Cant tell from photo but looks like some squares have been joined and then she worked around them.  Also just so you know there is a right and wrong side and your photos are showing the wrong side.

Variation worked back and forth is granny stripe

Edited by bgs

3 minutes ago, bgs said:

Traditional granny square 

Cant tell from photo but looks like some squares have been joined and then she worked around them.  Also just so you know there is a right and wrong side and your photos are showing the wrong side.

I thought it looked like a kind of like the granny square type pattern but wasn't sure how to continue. I'm going to fix the pictures, thank you for letting me know. When I work on it will I have the right side facing me?

Ironic that I'm the last one on this help topic based on my user name (ahem), but just wanted to welcome Hmmulcahy to the 'ville!  What a sweet thing to do for your Dad for Christmas.  The good news is you are past the 'hard' part, some beginners have come here for help at the very beginning because it's a little hard to see the pattern forming at the start.  One comment - try to make sure that your stitch height matches your Grandmothers', this will ensure that your square's measurement will match hers once it comes time to assemble the squares.