Help with Increase Instructions

crochetgal12

Question

I am crocheting a men's cardigan and I am stuck on my pattern's instructions for the sleeves. I made the ribbing and am now on the "body" of the sleeve, (if you will). THe pattern reads that I should have 43 dcs which I do and is where I am left on. The instructions I am confused by read as follows "Work in patt as for Back, inc 1 st at each end of row on next and every 3 rows 14 more times. (73 sts)." I understand the work in pattern as for the back, however I don't understand which rows to do the actual increases in and how doing that 14 times will get me to 73 stitches total. Can someone please help me understand which rows to do the increases in? Thank you.

8 answers to this question

Here is how I wrap my brain around that sort of instruction. Pasting so I don't have to scroll,

"inc 1 st at each end of row on next and every 3 rows 14 more times."

First, find something to use for a stitch marker, I use bobby pins, but a bent paper clip, safety pin, even a short contrasting length of yarn pulled into a stitch will do.  You'll need at least 14 or 15 markers.

Increase 1 at the each end of a row means put 2 stitches into 1 into the first stitch of the row, and and 2 sts into last stitch of a row.  If this is US DC, if you turn and don't skip the fist DC but rather DC into it, it will be an increase; then at the last stitch of the row, which should be the top of the chain that began the prior row, put 2 DC.  

The way to count the 'on next and every 3 rows' - OK, next row makes sense, right? so increase at each end of the next row and put a stitch marker at 1 end, or at each end, whichever makes you feel more comfortable about keeping count.  So now, starting with the row after that first increase, count the rows: *1 (no increase) 2 (no increase) 3 (INCREASE AND PUT MARKER)--in other words, "1, 2 INCREASE, 1, 2 INCREASE", where increase replaces the word '3'.  Repeat from * until you have 73 stitches.  I suppose there are a  couple of ways to interpret  "14 more times" -- does it mean the next row plus 14, or 14 rows beyond the next row?  But it gives you the stitch count you should have at the end of it, so that should help you end at the right spot.  To figure out which, 2 scenarios:

If you add 2 stitches to a row (1 at each end) a total of 14 times (counting the next row as part of the 14), that's an increase of 28 sts from the point before the increases.  You should end up with 73 stitches; 73-28=45, meaning you should have 45 stitches before the increases start.

If you add 2 stitches to a row (1 at each end) a total of 15 times , (not counting the next row as part of the 14) that's an increase of 30 sts from the point before the increases, so you'd have 2 fewer stitches than the above scenario before the increase start, so you should have 43 sts before increasing.

• Like 1

You're welcome!  A little math comes in handy quite a bit in crochet, simple arithmetic mostly. I'm no  whiz but I always have a calculator close by.  It's helpful for size /gauge adjustments mostly, but occasionally for pattern sanity checks like this one.

I don't think there is a way to address a member directly except sending a direct message (the little cartoon text balloon icon at the top right), but the little 'heart/like' you clicked on my most 'shows up' for me in the top bar when I log in again; if I click it it brings me back to this thread.  I'll click the heart on your post so you'll see what I mean  :hook 

• Like 1

Oh, I didn't think of that, I'm on a PC.  Below is a screenshot, I have a greenish blue circle with a 1 in it, which is you hitting a 'heart' on my post :manyheart 

Immediately to the right of that is the 'cartoon text balloon', actually 2 balloons overlapped which is where you can send a PM to a member.

Top right crochetville icons.jpg

Granny Square it doesnt look that way on our cells. 

Ok on my cell. Fastest easiest way is  to touch someones avatar in one of their posts.  When the next page comes up touch the envelope.  Other way is go to 3 hash marks (all the way up and to the right) and touch it.  Next screen touch envelope.  Next screen touch compose new.  Doing it this way you are going to have to know the persons Crochetville screen name.

But really its great to see all the dialogue happening in the thread.  It would leave those of us that check in to see if more help is needed wondering if your problem was actually resolved..

Hi Bgs, I figured as much ('ville looking different on different platforms) when Crochetgal12 mentioned her phone, but I just thought I'd throw it out there in case there was some other vaguely similar-ish indicator of a 'like' or message on phones.  It slipped my mind that you could just tap a person's avatar to send a message, I don't 'message' very often.  But then, how does someone on a phone know they have a message waiting, does something light up on their avatar?

I agree that it's probably to leave crochet questions and answers 'out in the open', they could help other people who had trouble with/wondered about the same subject.  I read the help section on another forum that covers knitting and crochet, I've learned a lot of knitting tips that way.  The OP's question is one I totally understand tilting one's head at (one could interpret it a couple of ways). I get a little crazy with stitch markers (bobby pins) and careful with counting when I do increases like this--my sleeve or whatever ends up looking like a centipede by the end of the increases.

Edited by Granny Square
misspelled bobby pins!