Need help with a pattern

versora

Question

I bought a pattern called Crochet Chevron Coat from Crazy Cool Crochet on Etsy. I am making the 1X. I am currently making the first front panel of the coat.

here's where i am so confused. it says to Ch 110. Alright I do that I quadruple check to see that I do. next step 2 SC in second Ch from hook. Then four more SC in the next 4 with a total of 6 SC at the start of the row. Then it's a SC Decrease over the next 3 ch. Now repeat that all the away across. You should somehow end with 6 SC as you put 2 SC in the last Ch. then row two really threw me off. I did contact the pattern creator and she said it worked out fine for her. at this point after three days of trying to do this pattern and it's easy for my skill level, i'm about to give up and it was a waste of money.

5 answers to this question

The chevron in your link, as well as most 'even' chevrons (each /\ is the identical), have the same construction: 2 hillsides with the same number of stitches (your pattern has 4 for each hillside), a hilltop and a valley--the number of stitches increased in the hilltop is the same number of stitches that is decreased in the valley.

This sounds SO darned simple but it is also SO darned easy to mess up.  I made one when I started to crochet about 50 years ago and swore I would never make another.  Then I lost my head and made one for my grand nephew a few years ago...and muttered a bit and ripped a few rows a couple of times along the way, even  though I knew to pay attention.

Your pattern, after chaining--my notes in bold: 2 SC in second Ch from hook (this is an increase of 1, so is a hilltop). Then four more SC in the next 4 (hillside heading down)with a total of 6 SC at the start of the row (hint, don't think in these terms, think of the ripple in pieces - hilltop, side, valley, side). Then it's a SC Decrease over the next 3 ch.(valley, turns 3 stitches into 1, so a decrease of 2-- it does not match the FIRST hilltop's increase, see next paragraph) (you didn't mention it, but there should be another hillside heading up to the next hill top).

* It is possible the first valley does not match the first hilltop at the very beginning because sometimes at the very ends of a chevron pattern, you might make a "half" valley or hilltop instead of a "whole/normal" one, so may not be an error; does the next mention of an increase say to put 3 SC in 1 stitch? If so, this is an increase of 2, so it matches those decreased in the valley).

This may sound complicated, but it's (I assume)"*increase 2 for the hilltop (3 sts made into 1), make 4 sts. downhill, decrease 2 (3 st joined to make 1) for the valley, make 4 sts. uphill", repeat, and something might vary a little at the last stitch like it did at the first. Easy!  But count, count, count.  The nice thing about this pattern, is that with a short hilltop, it might be easier to eyeball if you have erred - with taller and wide chevrons with more stitches in the hillsides, + or - a stitch is harder to catch.  Admire your work frequently to make sure you are on track :yes 

Edited by Granny Square

ah, yeah. That's what was hanging me up, and I wasn't sure about posting the entire pattern as a reference, since it's a paid pattern from Etsy. I am much more confident with red heart patterns than original creator ones. and even though I kept on track, it seemed like I somehow kept messing up. Thanks for the thorough explanation, since deep chevrons are now my weakness