crochet sweater

gemlovesjasper

Question

I read a really cute crochet sweater pattern recently. Unfortunately, it's only in sizes small(medium, large, xlarge). I am a 5x. The chains are as follows 198 (206, 222, 242). How can I increase the size for this sweater when the increases between ea chain are not the same? Should I just forget the idea of trying to make this sweater? If not, what number do I chain in the beginning? I thought the foundation chain should be the bust size....62". Is this correct? What other adjustments would I make? 

1 answer to this question

198 is 8 less than 206

206 is 16 less than 222

222 is 20 less than 242....I was hoping it would all be stitch pattern multiples that 'made sense', as in the third difference would be a multiple of 8 like the first 2.

Regarding foundation chain should = bust size--not necessarily.  I am not your size, but I am not a runway model either, nor am I a young person, and I don't want my clothes to be the same measurement as my skin--I want a little extra room (this is called positive ease).  A good idea would be to raid your closet and measure a sweater that fits you nicely--around the hem, waist, cuff to cuff, back neckline to hem.  Remember, if you are laying it out on a bed to measure, to double the width measurements (you can only see 1 side laid out, but don't forget the back side).  And if this is a cardigan, there will be some overlap needing to be figured in.

Having said all that, designing is difficult.  Not every measurement 'sizes up' the same; example, your arms are still the same length, but your armhole opening is going to need to be (I assume) deeper.  How much?  That's why raiding your closet and measuring is a good idea.  But all of this is not going to give you stitch counts.  

What attracted you to this pattern?  I think if there is an element you like, depending on the complexity of the element, your best bet is to find a pattern for a similar shaped garment in your size and try to apply that attribute to the pattern that will fit you.  And be prepared to make, rip, and re-do, probably a LOT.  Been there.

I am not a designer, but I sewed a lot of my own school clothes and office suits from middle school to the time I retired.  Where I'm going with this, it takes some knowledge of cause and effect to adapt a fabric pattern that is already close to your size, to fit they way you want (and the same or very similar principles apply for crochet or knit clothing items).  You have to know that if you do X, Y happens, and it may not be at all intuitive if you haven't done something similar before.  

Edited by Granny Square