Granny square dress from Family Circle magazine 1970's

Maribel

Question

3 answers to this question

That is really pretty, I love the colors, and I'm not much of a "pink" person! It might be a skirt rather than a dress, with matching cuffs that were added onto or just worn over a regular shirt's sleeves. The skirt style is "gypsy" (the layers and fringed bottom). I checked the free vintage patterns site, & did a Google search but did not find it.

If you can't find the actual pattern, I don't think it would be too difficult to design, as the skirt part is just bands of granny squares and rows of crochet in between, with the last band of granny squares flaring more than the other bands (by adding some extra squares or half squares or edging to make one side of the last band of fabric to ripple ). If you could find a basic sewing pattern for a gypsy skirt or dress, you could use it as a pattern/template. 

Edited by chipnanna

My usual places to search for vintage magazines

-- eBay, they now allow you to filter the years it was published a bit more.

-- Etsy

-- Ravelry

-- The Internet Archive (they seem to have scanned a lot more magazines in the past year)

-- a site called PurpleKittyYarns has a lot of vintage magas

-- a defunct site called GroovyCrochet which you may be able to locate using the Wayback Machine

I learned to crochet around 1970 when granny squares were all the range, and cut out a bunch of patterns from Family Circle and Women's day from that era, but don't have that one.  I don't recall that style being called 'gypsy' at the time however--peasant dress was a common term from that era.