cloud

Question

I'm a beginner crocheter and this is the first pattern I've created. I wanted to try a doily but I could find a pattern to match the size yarn and hook I wanted to use so i decided to try my own. I used 2 skeins of embroidery thread and it has a wpi of 12/13 and a size F hook. I believe though that as long as you use the same number of stitches per round, then it should work with any weight of yarn and hook. I plan to try it again with worsted weight yarn and a 5mm, 5.5mm or 6.5mm hook.

Sunday afternoon doily or coaster

Written in US terminology

Stitches used:

Single Crochet (sc), Chain (ch), *Treble Crochet (tc), Slip Stitch (sl st), V-stitch shell (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc)

*if you experience cupping substitute Double Crochet (dc) for tc

Materials:

Yarn or thread with a 12 wpi (2 fine yarn, 3 light, 4 medium) F-5/3.75mm hook

Size: between 5.5 inches and 6 inches depending on yarn or thread used and dc substitution

Pattern:

Create a magic circle

R1: ch 1, 9 sc in magic circle, join to the first sc with a sl st. <9>

R2: 2sc in each st, join to the first sc with a sl st. <18>

R3: sl st into 1 st of prev round, ch 4 (counts as first st), 1 tc in same st, *1 tc in next st, 2 tc in next st, repeat from * all around ending with 1 tc, join to first tc (chain) with a sl st. <27>

R4: ch 1, 1 sc in same stitch, *ch 6, sk 2, 1 sc in next stitch, repeat from * all around ending with ch 6, join to first sc with a sl st  <9 ch-6 sp>

R5: sl st to 3rd st in ch-6 sp, ch 1, sc into same st, *ch 5, sc into 3rd st in next ch-6 sp, repeat from * all around ending with ch 5, join to first sc with a sl st <54> (NOTE: substitute ch 6 for ch 5 if you experience cupping but do not add an extra tc in the next round)

R6: ch 4 (counts as first st), 1 tc into same st, *5 tc in ch-5 sp, 2 tc into sc, repeat from * all around ending with 5 tc in ch-5 sp, joint to first tc (chain) with a sl st <63>

*R7: ch 2 (counts as first st), v-stitch shell in same st, *sk 2, v-stitch shell in next st, repeat from * all around ending with v-stitch shell, sk 2, sl st into 1st stitch of prev round, fasten off <21 v-st shells>

* I seem to have unintentionally done one dc in place of a v-st shell in 1 st, I counted this in the 21 but if you have issues with it let me know and if you have any suggestions or corrections, let me know, because I'm only a beginner and I'm not sure if I might have done anything wrong. 

20210812_085152.jpg

20210812_085203.jpg

Edited by cloud

6 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!  12 wpi is the high end of wraps for US #4 weight so something like Red Heart Super Saver would have been pretty close, and not impossible to use with an F hook. 

Don't feel bad on your error; that sort of thing is a common one I make too, and I've been crocheting for decades--for something like a granny square or filet, instead of 3 DCs, once in a while I zone out and make 2 instead.  I always find it on the same spot in the next row, ugh.

I'd be happy to test your pattern.

Edited by Granny Square

I am most of the way thru this (round 5 of 7) and was getting slight cupping, and starting round 6 which is mostly solid it is getting worse.  This by no means indicated there is a problem with your pattern--except for cupping so far it looks nice.  Comparing my stitch height to a lot of patterns gauges I know my stitches are on the short-ish side, which causes cupping if the designer's height gauge is taller.  I'm pretty sure the cup is going to 'flip' a lot worse with round 6 since it is mostly solid. 

I'm not sure if this is legit for testers to do, but I'm going to rip back and sub US DCs for trebles (I am assuming that your pattern is in US terms because it includes SC) 

Thank you for the welcome and the kind words. 

Thanks as well for letting me know you encountered cupping, I also experienced very, very slight cupping, but it flattened out by the end. I hope it works out with the dcs if not I'll rethink the number of stitches per round. 

It ended up nice and flat (for me) with DCs, actually I had the slightest hint of a ruffle that was easily 'patted out'.  This is using a size 3 'DK' weight yarn and F hook (not sure if the yarn is made any more - Loops and threads Snuggly Wuggly).  It's 5.5" across.

Everybody's gauge is different, I mostly make doilies in the round and run into this a LOT, in both directions - ruffling and cupping...it just proves that we are all human and different.  The problem with cupping tho is that you usually can't block it out, but you can usually stretch the tarnation out of a doily to subdue ruffling.  

I'll send you a PM with my notes.

scan0015.jpg

That looks incredible! The white gives it a very nice classic doily touch.  I feel like the yarn gave it more defined look in terms of the chains in row 4 and the sort of scalloped edge. Thank you so much for testing it and helping me out! :)

You're very welcome!  I almost did it in doily thread but wasn't sure if it would be big enough to see clearly, I wasn't expecting the cropped scan to be so big!  It's a very pretty pattern.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1