I need help with understanding something about a pattern

selind

Question

Hello, this is my first post here. Currently I am working on this pattern: https://www.yarnspirations.com/row-en/red-heart-texting-gloves/RHC0115-014021M.html. In this pattern, extended single crochet stitches are used and the turning chains don't count as stitches. However,  at the end of the rounds you are supposed to join into the turning chain. I thought that when turning chains don't count as stitches, you completely ignore them and join into the first actual stitch. So, does anyone know why this pattern is written this way? Thanks!

5 answers to this question

I think this is sort of like HDC, where sometimes the chain is 1 and sometimes 2, and sometimes it counts as a stitch and sometimes it doesn't.

I agree with BGS, 'try it  both ways and see which you like better', but be consistent on how you count stitches whichever way you pick.  Sometimes working in the round in DC, and you slip stitch to join and chain up, it leaves a gap because the chain is skinnier than the 'real DC'.  In that case, you might want to not count the chain 3 as a stitch, and also DC in the same spot to fill the gap.  This gap issue might not apply as much to chubbier extended SCs tho.

Patterns are written the way the designer wants to write them. (We sure see some doozies in help request). The finished object looked best to them by making it the way they wrote it out.   At least it sounds like this designer explained what to do.  I often come across patterns where things seem to be different from the norm but I try it first exactly as written and often it works just fine but if I am not happy with the results I have no qualms about tweaking it.

I looked at pattern and may have missed this but I did not find where it said to NOT count the chain 2 beginning the rounds as a stitch.  If the chain 2 is not counted as a stitch it should say somewhere in the notes or beginning of pattern.  

Edited by bgs
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bgs said:

Patterns are written the way the designer wants to write them. (We sure see some doozies in help request). The finished object looked best to them by making it the way they wrote it out.   At least it sounds like this designer explained what to do.  I often come across patterns where things seem to be different from the norm but I try it first exactly as written and often it works just fine but if I am not happy with the results I have no qualms about tweaking it.it.

I looked at pattern and may have missed this but I did not find where it said to NOT count the chain 2 beginning the rounds as a stitch.  If the chain 2 is not counted as a stitch it should say somewhere in the notes or beginning of pattern.  

Thank you for your answer. It actually didn't say anything about the chain 2 in the pattern, but the publishers explained this to me when I asked them about it on their website.

Then the publishers need to correct the pattern because the pattern should tell you.  Sometimes you have to work a pattern to see what happens, pull it out and start over.  Keep a close eye on your stitch count.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, bgs said:

Then the publishers need to correct the pattern because the pattern should tell you.  Sometimes you have to work a pattern to see what happens, pull it out and start over.  Keep a close eye on your stitch count.

Thanks for the advice.