Sonata blanket by Ann Kirtley

Shelly R

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi ShellyR, welcome to the 'ville!  What is the name of the pattern? It is OK to type out a line or 2 of a pattern that is giving you trouble (just don't post the whole pattern here due to copyright laws), or if it is a free pattern on the internet you can give us the link.  If there is a photo of the finished blanket on the 'net somewhere, let us know - a lot of times looking at a finished item can help make sense of written instructions.

If that above link is 'it', it is gorgeous.  Looking at the photo before the pattern text, I'm 99% certain that the border (the pineapple part) is made perpendicular to the blanket edges, by its appearance.  Now seeing that the edging starts with 'chain 35', that confirms it.  Then later there is a narrow edging that goes around the pineapple border (edited to add, the narrow edging is made edge-outward, nor perpendicular to the blanket like the inner pineapple border).

One thing I am spotting is that it is saying 'work petal' - note there is a definition of 'petal' the first time it comes up, in row 2 of the border, and then later it just says 'work petal'.  This is not uncommon, just a heads up to look for it because it's not in the special stitches section.

The border is worked in rows, and joined top to bottom into a circle (like a wide band) on the 345th row.  Then you add the edging around that, and the last step is sewing the border + edging onto the blanket.

This pattern really illustrates why I often say to new crocheters - read the pattern all the way through before you pick up your hook (like looking at a map before you drive to an unfamiliar place, well before GPS anyway).  I think this might be the first time I've seen a crocheted border sewn on (but I have seen it for a knitted border).

Edited by Granny Square