Pattern from picture

Prairie1907

Question

5 answers to this question

I had bookmarked a pic-to-knit site several years ago, but I just checked, and it's no longer available. Yes, I know you're looking for a crochet chart, but you may have to go with a knitting chart to reproduce your image. Then use simple stitches, such as single crochets, to create what you want.

One possibility is KnitPro, which you can find here.

Oops, I was just typing a bit about using Knitpro when 2MuchYarn posted, I agree that one works nicely, but you'll need to do a little work with it not just push a button.  

To continue you want to pick the grid that is a 1:1 ratio (that's already selected, don't change it) and then the  size you want (how many stitches across and high).

Looking at the ball band of RH super saver, the suggested or 'typical' width gauge with a US I sized hook (5.5mm) is 12 stitches over 4", so 0.333" inches per stitch, so using the small size (48 grids across) that would give you a fabric about 16" across.  Using the big grid (120 grids across), would be 40" across.  Keep in mind that you can make a 'frame' around the design in a plain color, and center your picture within borders top and bottom , and across; you don't need to fill the  whole thing.  (I only centered it across in my example to demonstrate)

Also don't use these gauge numbers, you will need to do a swatch to recalculate all this with YOUR gauge.

Another thing - say you are making a team logo that is a red ball, with a black outline, on a white background (to keep it simple).  Knitpro is going to scatter colors in all sorts of shades of pink and grey on the ball side of the black line, and shades of black and grey on the outside of the black line.  You will need to 'clean up' these pixels and make decisions on those shades if you want to make an item with only red, white, and black yarn.

Last year I looked into the resources available to make a pattern from a picture.  In addition to KnitPro, there's

http://myphotostitch.com/   and Stitchfiddle.  Both of these (unlike knitpro) will allow you to tell it to restrict the number of colors.  Basically for a sports logo, you might want to restrict the out put to 4 colors instead of the hundreds of shades you'll get from a photo. 

If I use knitpro I usually find some sort of photo software to reduce the number of colors.  A lot of photo apps do this now.  The filter sometimes is call Warhol (an artist famous for reduced colors)