Basic Crochet Question

Clarabee

Question

I was wondering when you fasten off something on a project and, leaving a string behind, what are you supposed to do with it, cut it? I ask this because I've made 3 other stuffed animals before and all the strings that were left behind from attaching things and fastening off have come on out (I put them inside the stuffie before finishing it.. if that makes since). Anyways, I was just curious! :)

4 answers to this question

Eek, no!  You want to weave in the end as thoroughly and discreetly as you can, but first when you leave an end, you want it to be several inches long.  An inch or 2 is going to find it's way out of the fabric.

I've seen so many stories of "grandma's blanket unraveled, how do I fix it?" and it's usually because grandma didn't weave a long enough end to weave in properly.

There are several youtubes out there on how to weave in ends.  Also, a side note, don't trust just 'working over an end', it makes the stitches used to work over it a little less tight and isn't the most secure.  This is a pretty good video, she shows weaving in 2 directions, securing the thread before weaving back.  You could also go in 2 directions, meaning north then east for example, not just east and west.  I personally leave my ends a little longer (edit - longer than the linked video shows) before weaving, but certainly you don't want them any shorter than that.  That is the sort of needle you want to use, too (that bent needle is meant for something special, but I wouldn't use if for this).

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Eek, no!  You want to weave in the end as thoroughly and discreetly as you can, but first when you leave an end, you want it to be several inches long.  An inch or 2 is going to find it's way out of the fabric.

I've seen so many stories of "grandma's blanket unraveled, how do I fix it?" and it's usually because grandma didn't weave a long enough end to weave in properly.

There are several youtubes out there on how to weave in ends.  Also, a side note, don't trust just 'working over an end', it makes the stitches used to work over it a little less tight and isn't the most secure.  This is a pretty good video, she shows weaving in 2 directions, securing the thread before weaving back.  You could also go in 2 directions, meaning north then east for example, not just east and west.  I personally leave my ends a little longer (edit - longer than the linked video shows) before weaving, but certainly you don't want them any shorter than that.  That is the sort of needle you want to use, too (that bent needle is meant for something special, but I wouldn't use if for this).

Okay thank you! Also, when you start a slip knot or a magic ring do you do the same things with those ends?

Yep.  For a magic ring, I leave the weaving in until last (actually I leave all weaving until last, because my weaving is almost impossible to pick out in case I spot an error or have a design inspiration to change something).  Depending on what you are making starting with an adjustable ring - you can use it to adjust the opening, either pull it tight (like for a hat) or loosen it up, sometimes I do that latter in doilies if it helps to keep it flat ( it can discourage ruffling a tiny bit).

Did you just dump the ends in when done with the ami or did you pull it through the stuffing out the other side and let it pull back into the toy? If you just leave the ends they do come out. 

Planet June has tutorials here and  here