wide hdc flo

Ursula Schwandt

Question

8 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  That's a new one on me.  (I assume you know how to do a 'plain' HDC)

Doing some googling, the 'wide' part is easy, instead of putting your hook under the top 2 loops of the stitch, you put the hook between the stitches according to this tutorial https://daisyfarmcrafts.com/half-double-crochet-in-between-the-posts/

However, FLO means 'front loop only', and I'm not finding anything on a combined stitch.  It sounds sort of mutually exclusive, 'wide' uses no loops, 'FLO' uses 1 loop (front loop only).

Where did you run into the term?  A well written pattern will include a section of stitch definitions that are beyond the very basic stitches.  Or, sometimes in one of the pattern rows, it will define a 'made up stitch' by saying 'blah blah, XYZ stitch made' and later refer to the XYZ stitch to be made in a later row.

Thank you for responding.  This is a Lion Brand Kit, Tassel Throw Pattern #M20029

BEGIN PATTERN Row 1 (RS): Hdc in 3rd ch from hook, and in each ch across, turn.

Rows 2-17: Ch 2, wide hdc 88 sts across, turn. With 2 strands of CC and larger hook

Rows 18-20: ch 1, sl st FLO 88 sts across, turn. With 2 strands of MC and smaller hook

Row 21: ch 2, wide hdc FLO 88 sts across, turn. Rows 22 and 23: ch 2, wide hdc 88 sts across, turn. With 2 strands of CC and larger hook Rows 24-32: ch 1, sl st FLO 88 sts across, turn

Row 21 is where I went bonkers.  Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I went to this Lion Brand page (glossary) and it had knit and crochet stitch abbreviations 'spelled out'.  On that page it has a link to contact them if you had a question; since you bought a kit from them I would think they should respond.

I'm trying to remember if it was Lion Brand or Yarnspirations, a few years ago there was a (free) potholder pattern where the download button didn't work.  I sent an e-mail and they responded within a day or 2, apologizing and fixing the link (I think they even include the pdf in the reply email).  So I think there's a good chance you'll get an answer, especially since this was a paid pattern kit not just a free pattern.  I hope they do, and let us know what they say!  It could be a typo as it is only in the 1 row.

The pattern is --

1 row plain  (r1)

16 rows wide (r2-17)

3 rows FLO (18-20)

1 row BOTH (21)

2 rows wide (22-23)

Then you switch colors.

I wonder if it would be a catastrophe if you just picked wide or FLO or even plain, since it is only 1 row.  If the 'both' is meant to be a contrast for some reason, I'd probably pick plain, since that would be a contrast to the surrounding rows.  By looking at the pattern photo, you might be able to see where that row is and what it looks like and decide that way if the LB people don't respond to you.

I went here and tried looking at the photos.

https://www.lionbrand.com/products/tassel-throw-m20029

I think this row is really hdc flo especially since the last 3 rows are sl st flo. I did a little mock up and uh really there are no posts to work between even if it (and I dont think it is) is possible to do wide hdc flo unless they have a very special way to do it in which case they should have explained it.

I hope you get a response because I am really interested in seeing how you do it.