whimsical stitches by Lauren espy jellyfish

sujin

Question

hello I am a new to crocheting and the instructions are unclear to me it states "Through front loop only, *Sc 1, hdc 1, sc 1 in one st, sc 1 in next st* 21 times. ( 84 sts)" the round before I end up 42 stitches and I don't understand how to go from 42 to 84 sts can anybody pls show me or explain thanks. 

7 answers to this question

"Through front loop only, *Sc 1, hdc 1, sc 1 in one st, sc 1 in next st* 21 times. ( 84 sts)" That whole part underlined uses 2 stitches from the prior row, but creates 4 stitches, because you are putting 3 stitches into the first stitch, and 1 in the second.  So, that would double your stitch count.

I've been crocheting for decades, and still occasionally miss a word and wonder what happened and have to rip and re-do, so don't feel bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Katien50, welcome to the 'ville!  I assume you are stuck on the same pattern and line?, let me paste my 'annotation' of the pattern line so I don't have to scroll:

"Through front loop only, *Sc 1, hdc 1, sc 1 in one st, sc 1 in next st* 21 times. ( 84 sts)" That whole part underlined uses 2 stitches from the prior row, but creates 4 stitches, because you are putting 3 stitches into the first stitch, and 1 in the second.  So, that would double your stitch count."

Maybe splitting it up is clearer:  The repeat uses 2 stitches from the prior row for each repeat in the current  row.

STITCH 1:  Sc 1+hdc 1 + sc1 all into 1 stitch.  [This puts 3 stitches INTO 1 stitch.  This is an increase of 2 stitches, and uses 1 stitch]

STITCH 2:  SC in the next stitch (this uses 1 stitch and makes 1 stitch)

Does it make more sense split up that way?

Just guessing, but I think it may be a little counterintuitive that 3 stitches into 1 is an increase of 2.  The 'norm' is 1 stitch into 1 stitch, so any number higher than 1 is an increase by the quantity beyond 1.