Christine

Chrisy

Question

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

This is a normal transaction for working in joined rounds.  You finish a round (say round 2), then attach (slip stitch) the last stitch made in round 2 to the first stitch made on round 2, chain 3, and start the following round (round 3). 

The 'chain 3', or turning chain, counts as the first stitch of round 3.  The turning chain counts as a stitch for every stitch but a US SC (UK DC).

I'm focusing on turning chains because not understanding how they work is a frequent reason for miscount issues.

You don't have to actually turn to need to make a turning chain, it's technically 'a chain you make to bring the yarn up to the level of the next row', but turning chain is less typing!  ;) 

The arrow is pointing to the horizontal slip stitch, which needs to be skipped.  Coming out of the slip stitch are the 3 chains that started the current row, the bottom-most one is a little squished but the second and third chain are clearer.

The next step in the photo is put the hook back in and insert it into the third chain that started that round, slip stitch to start the next round.  I underlined that part to emphasize that stitch 1 in every round is made into the top of stitch 1 of the prior round. The slip stitch (red arrow) is the base of stitch 1 of the current round , and is not to be worked into for the last stitch of the current round.  I hope that makes sense?