Forget-Me-Not baby blanket

P Anderson

Question

18 answers to this question

Sorry I dont have a copy of the pattern to look at and In searching I cant get a good photo of the pattern to come up so I can get a good look.  Link to pattern I found is not working.  My guess is that they are made in the instructions on the next round or two by doing post stitches.  Sometimes you have to just follow the pattern and it works out and not like we thought it would. 

Welcome to the 'ville!  Is this a free pattern on the net, or a photo of what it is supposed to look like?  Don't post the whole pattern here, but it is OK to post a line or 2.  I looked, I found a few, but none had leaves.

I see BGS has just replied as I was typing.  I found a few blanket patterns with forget-me-not in the name, but none had leaves.  Did you mean petals?  The only one I found where petals were made in an unusual way ('behind' other petals, not exactly between) is this one, the flowers appear to be made the same way as Irish Roses - I happen to be in the middle making a doily with Irish Roses at the moment; they are made in rounds beyond the petals they are behind, but don't use post stitches. 

edited to add, for Irish roses, unless you want to change colors, there is no 'stopping and starting', it's in joined rounds--a center, a round of petals, *a round of chain loops behind the petals, a round of petals made into the chain loops behind the petals, repeat - except the petals and chain loops get bigger.

Edited by Granny Square

On 6/19/2021 at 11:38 AM, bgs said:

Sorry I dont have a copy of the pattern to look at and In searching I cant get a good photo of the pattern to come up so I can get a good look.  Link to pattern I found is not working.  My guess is that they are made in the instructions on the next round or two by doing post stitches.  Sometimes you have to just follow the pattern and it works out and not like we thought it would. 

Thank you for all your work trying to help. I will upload a photo and instructions for round 3 if you don't mind taking another look.

Photo_2021-06-13_172325.jpg

Document_2021-06-13_172413.pdf

The motif is 3 rows; 1 & 2 are blue for the flower and 3 is green for the leaves. 

Rnd 2 of  petal is made in 2 halves with a chain between,  You make the leaves by working into the chain between the petals.

It may look like the leaves are behind from the photo,  but they are not.

Edited by Granny Square

You have a lot of stitches in round 2 so it does not lay flat.  Basically on round 3 you sc in the ch space in the middle of each petal and make the two clusters in the ch space between the petals (with addition of ch between clusters and again between the sc and clusters.

This is what I got.  The purple would be your green.

In this shot I tried to push the petals flat.

20210621_105015.thumb.jpg.ee513465431728d54516a1f4a6570f5c.jpg

This one I let the petals pop up

20210621_105112.thumb.jpg.7c6f830afd630af8999425badb194504.jpg

Edited by bgs

O you do not finish off between each petal.

The good thing is you selected a pattern that seems to be well written.  There are a lot of patterns out there that are in an abbreviated form and many do not follow the general accepted standards in crochet patterns.  Even a good pattern can be confusing to follow.  I often have to rewrite confusing parts putting a small sequence per line so I dont get lost in the pattern.  

Edited by bgs

rnd 3

right side facing you, join green with sl st in ch 1 sp in center of any petal

ch 1, sc in same sp

ch 1,  work (cluster ch cluster) in next ch 1 sp, ch 1 note this is worked between the petals

*sc in next ch 1 sp note now you are working in the center of the next petal

work (cluster ch 1 cluster) in next ch 1 sp, ch 1 note this is worked between petals

rpt from * two more times

join with sl st to first sc

finish off

I do something like the above.  You can write everything out long hand and not use abbreviations.  Where it says to go back to the * and repeat two more times you can go ahead and write it out two more times. Break it down step by step and write it out so it makes sense to you.  (Cluster ch 1 cluster) could be written out by subbing in the instructions for the word cluster.  

12 spaces means you made 12 ch 1 spaces in that round

Hoping I got everything in there.  Working on phone and having to go back and forth to pattern.

Here is info on reading patterns.  Fortunately this pattern adheres to these standards but we are seeing an awful lot of patterns that do not. 

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern

Here is another helpful link for those just learning to crochet.

https://www.edieeckman.com/2019/08/28/where-to-put-the-first-stitch-of-a-crochet-row/

Sorry, it probably would have made more sense if instead of saying "1 & 2 are blue for the flower and 3 is green for the leaves" is to explain how I knew that. 

Row 1 says at the beginning 'with blue...; and at the end of row 2 says 'finish off' (which means, finish off the blue).   Row 3 says 'join green' at the beginning, and then 'finish off' at the end, so you will be joining another color (white I think, per the photo) on row 4.

Part of what BGS said is sort of my mantra - follow the pattern word for word (at least for a while) no matter how weird it sounds.  Way pre-internet, when I was a high school freshman I had 1 crochet lesson from a friend's mom, and a pile of vintage crochet books.  I didn't want to bug friend's mom, so I mostly followed my 'mantra' -- most of the time the 'weird' was a cool new technique learned, once in a great while it was an error but by following it I could usually figure out what it probably meant.

But I think what she meant / is to take the lengthy sentences in a pattern / and break them up / in understandable chunks/.

Hi Bgs, you posted just as I did I think.

Edited to add, I actually grabbed my pencil to do that a couple of days ago on a doily, it is a modern pattern but has elements of 'real' Irish crochet, where you are making branches and roses in a non-linear way.

Edited by Granny Square

48 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Hi Bgs, you posted just as I did I think.

Edited to add, I actually grabbed my pencil to do that a couple of days ago on a doily, it is a modern pattern but has elements of 'real' Irish crochet, where you are making branches and roses in a non-linear way.

I have an apple dishcloth pattern that I use for making hotpads.  I have made it many times and there is one round that I always get lost in.   I finally wrote it out breaking it up so I could follow it---- Now not to lose that piece of paper before it gets written on the back of pattern or at least stapled to pattern.

Heh, my pattern copy has 2 sketches (not stitch diagrams) of the branch and leaf positions AND my re-write of the rose pattern stapled to it.  It had a slight added 'plan-ahead' factor because I colorized the doily (no blue- red roses, green leaves, the rest white).

Edited by Granny Square

20 hours ago, bgs said:

rnd 3

right side facing you, join green with sl st in ch 1 sp in center of any petal

ch 1, sc in same sp

ch 1,  work (cluster ch cluster) in next ch 1 sp, ch 1 note this is worked between the petals

*sc in next ch 1 sp note now you are working in the center of the next petal

work (cluster ch 1 cluster) in next ch 1 sp, ch 1 note this is worked between petals

rpt from * two more times

join with sl st to first sc

finish off

I do something like the above.  You can write everything out long hand and not use abbreviations.  Where it says to go back to the * and repeat two more times you can go ahead and write it out two more times. Break it down step by step and write it out so it makes sense to you.  (Cluster ch 1 cluster) could be written out by subbing in the instructions for the word cluster.  

12 spaces means you made 12 ch 1 spaces in that round

Hoping I got everything in there.  Working on phone and having to go back and forth to pattern.

Here is info on reading patterns.  Fortunately this pattern adheres to these standards but we are seeing an awful lot of patterns that do not. 

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern

Here is another helpful link for those just learning to crochet.

https://www.edieeckman.com/2019/08/28/where-to-put-the-first-stitch-of-a-crochet-row/

On 6/21/2021 at 12:34 PM, P Anderson said:

I'm obviously not reading it right. Is it too much to ask that you re-write for me? You've done sooo much already but I don't know what else to do.

I am almost there but have another problem. 12 spaces means 12 chain 1 spaces. I only count 8 spaces. Below is how I translated the round. The 8 chains are highlighted.

image.png.d6808492b91bf2b0d931aac31c5c6b74.png

Out and busy but quickly.  You have one ch sp in the center of each cluster

( cluster chain cluster)  which equals 4

Then you have a ch sp on both sides of your cluster sequences which equals 8

Sorry I messed up in going back and forth and didnt catch it was a ch 2 not ch 1 between the clusters so I said ch 1 spaces.

Its says 12 chain spaces so you count the ch 1 and the ch 2 spaces.  If you highlight the ch 2 spaces you will have 12.