An obvious line while crocheting in a round

Lilybet

Question

Hello

i was just wondering if someone might be able to help. I am making a round cushion cover involving triple crochets in a round, join with a slip stitch, chain and start again. The bit where I slip stitch and join has a really obvious line and I was wondering if that was right or if not what I should be doing so that doesn’t happen?

thanks very much

4 answers to this question

Are you using U.S. or U.K. stitches? Ch 3, yarn over once = U.S. double or U.K. triple. Ch 4, yarn over 2 times = U.S. triple or U.K. double triple. There are a couple of ways to minimize the line. 1: You could turn after each rnd and work in the opposite direction (both sides look the same).  2: you could make 1 less ch at the beginning, put your 1st stitch in the 1st stitch, work around, and join it the 1st stitch, skip the ch and do not count it (I use # 2). You can never completely get rid of the line. I sometimes use a larger hook and half doubles instead of doubles or doubles instead of triples (U.S).

Ellie 13

Hello Ellie 13

thank you so much for your reply. I’ll definitely give your suggestions a go. I’m using a UK treble stitch, sorry for the confusion.

Just wondering though, should it be this obvious? I don’t know, seems a bit off to me somehow...

Thank you again, really appreciate the help.

CA1D234C-5D32-414D-A3C3-0DEB491C7184.jpeg

Hmmm.  The photo below was a quick US DC swatch front & back I made a while back.  The photo of the front is on the right, at the point that I have slip stitched into the topmost chain of the 3 chains that began than row, to close the round.  With only 2 rounds you can see a 'seam line' forming where the initial ch-3s are, it is more subtle than yours is and I'm not sure why yours looks different.  

Ellie 13 had some good tips on ways to 'chain up' for the next round, another is the chainless turning USDC, where rather than chaining 3 you pull up a loop and twist the hook around and make the stitch in a different way, it takes some practice but looks nice -- look for videos on 'chainless turning double crochet'.  It takes a bit to get the hang of it, but it does look better than a chain.

193964690_backversusfrontside.jpg.becd0dcea72e15dc806137270dc0c440.jpg