Lost pattern....

Cheryl M

Question

I joined another crochet group & left it after 2 post attempts.  My posts went into 'pending approval' & then never got posted.  :( who does that?   This group does not have that vibe :):):)

I had not crocheted in about 4 years & when I grabbed my bag to start a baby blanket, I discovered part of my pattern was missing.  I have tried playing with the stitches,  but I just have not been able to make it work.  Can't tell you how many times I have started over... & over.  I have the 2nd row.    I would really appreciate it if anyone could provide me with my first row.  This was the pattern I learned how to crochet with.  ❤️

Here's my 2nd row:  chain 3. Starts the 2nd row & counts as the 1st stitch. Skip the next DC.  DC in the next 7.  3 DC in the next stitch.  DC in the next 7. Skip the next 2 & DC in the next 7.  Continue to the last 2 DC; skip the 1st one & DC in the 2nd one.  Chain 3....

8 answers to this question

Welcome!  We are a friendly bunch here.  And dang, I'm sorry you lost your very first pattern :(   Did you take a photo of your first blanket? Do you remember the name or part of the name of the pattern?  Maybe one of us can make guesses at the rest of it based on your photo or finding the pattern's photo on the net somewhere.  

This may not have been your pattern's first row, but for a blanket I'd prefer the blanket edges to be somewhat sturdy (solid stitches), that's the part that often gets 'yanked at'.  I'd probably start with a row of plain SC or DC, and have the last row match.  HOWEVER, still going with that thought but in a safer way:  make a chain longer than you want the width of the blanket to be.  Start with row 2 into the chain; when you arrive at a reasonable width with however many pattern repeats, turn short of the end of the chain and proceed with 'row 3'.  Later on, you can pick out the dangling unused chains, the fabric will not unravel from the knot end; then add a row of SC or DC into the underside of the chain to create a solid row 1, albeit upside-down, but I don't think anyone but you would notice that.

Does your row 2 lie flat?  It looks odd to me.   Throwing an idea out there...

Copying row 2 (so I don't have to scroll): 

"chain 3. Starts the 2nd row & counts as the 1st stitch. Skip the next DC.  DC in the next 7.  3 DC in the next stitch.  DC in the next 7. Skip the next 2 & DC in the next 7.  Continue to the last 2 DC; skip the 1st one & DC in the 2nd one"

Parsing row 2:

chain 3. Starts the 2nd row & counts as the 1st stitch. Skip the next DC.   (OK, this is normal for a row that starts with DC)

DC in the next 7.  (I think this should be followed with 'skip the next stitch', see below)

3 DC in the next stitch. (and then, I suspect it should say skip the next stitch--reason, 3 stitches into 1, plus a skipped stitch before and after it, is a shell stitch.  Without a skipped stitch before and after, my guess it is going to pucker.  Making 3 into one, and skipping 1 before and 1 after, creates 3 stitches and uses 3 stitches, so should lie flat.  Making 3 into 1 and not skipping probably won't lie flat.)

DC in the next 7. Skip the next 2 & DC in the next 7.  (This struck me as odd; does skipping 2 so many stitches beyond the 'shell' work to make up for not skipping 1 stitch on each side of the shell?  )

....So in a nutshell, I'm wondering if your pattern wasn't primarily a repeat of *7 DC, skip1, 3 DC in the next, skip 1, repeat.  Next row might have been the same, with the shells being made in the center stitch of the shell below.  Is that what you recall the pattern photo looking like? Other plausible possibilities could have had a solid row of DC between, and either the shells lining up over each other or offset from each other - either of those are also plausible.

Is this a ripple pattern?

I just saw in your intro thread post that you mentioned chevron. Here are some chevron patterns on ravelry.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#availability=free&craft=crochet&query=chevron afghan&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

Oh!!!! Duh, chevron makes sense, that totally didn't occur to me, but of course! I was right it won't lay flat, it's not supposed to--it's supposed to turn corners.

So forget what I said, above, here is a revised view parsing row 2:

chain 3. Starts the 2nd row & counts as the 1st stitch. Skip the next DC.   (OK, this is normal for a row that starts with DC)

DC in the next 7.  (this is an uphill portion)

3 DC in the next stitch. (this is the hilltop, 3 DC into 1 increases by 2 stitches.)

DC in the next 7.  (this is the downhill.)

Skip the next 2 & DC in the next 7.  (skipping 2 decreases 2, forming the valley; the next 7 are the next uphill)

Continue to the last 2 DC; skip the 1st one & DC in the 2nd one (this reverse-mirrors the beginning, meaning the both end stitches are DC, and for both ends  1-st-in -from-the-end are skipped.

The thing with chevrons is you have to make sure that your valleys, uphill & downhill stitch counts stay the same, and that valleys & hilltops all line up on top of each other--voice of experience ( I know better and have still had to rip a lot of rows on chevrons), count and re-count every element of every hill.  IMO they are not ideal 'zone out in front of the TV' projects.

Hello & thank you so much for your responses.  So Excited!

Granny Square, the chain & the 1st row was the part I lost.  I know I need to DC into the 4th stitch from the hook. Then I DC another 6 to reach my peak?  Right?     and I do the end of the 1st row just like I do the end of the 2nd row? 

Am checking out the site Mona sent too.

What you said above sounds right.  I'm fairly certain it should be the same directions all the way up, except you'll be working into stitches not chains.  I'll see if I can find a free pattern close to yours (like maybe has 8 not 7 stitches between hilltops and valleys, but the same concept)

( a minute or 2 later) Crickey, I thought I'd have to go thru a lot of patterns but the first one on greyhoundgrandma's link looks identical to you pattern scheme, she has a lot of photos and one with that counts the stitches for you for a repeat to help you visualize it.  Yay!

https://www.craftykittycrochet.com/2020/02/21/easy-chevron-afghan-crochet-pattern/