Crochet elongating?

closeshavecrochet

Question

Hey everyone! thanks for taking the time to read this, I'm newish to crochet so this is frustrating me a bit and almost putting me off crocheting altogether :(

So this jumper I'm crocheting has measurements for the back and front at 94 cm (37inches) in length. But i cannot for the life of me get this thing to stay at 94 cm.

So here's the thing though: the piece widens as I go along (it still remains rectangular so its not widening in a fan-like shape to indicate tight stitches, looser tension further up the rows, its not curving or anything either) but I measure the piece every two rows and eventually it goes to 110-120cm (43 inches). this will add and extra 12 inches to the jumper which I think is a lot, so I am trying to keep it to the pattern.

The jumper is in a popcorn stitch so obviously after the first time I made this mistake I made sure to make it a little tighter so that this would accommodate for the widening from the popcorn stitches. but the project just gets a little wider bit by bit., the entire thing not just the new rows. I measure every second row now to see. I recently restarted it and made my foundation chain and 1st row very tight (60cm/23 inches) even though I know this is terrible and will make the piece fan out in a wider shape. I did this to ballpark what cm I need to start the chain at to ensure it gets to approx. 94 cm. the chain was quite tight and I'm not on row 21. I've made it all very tight and there isn't a big notice of fanning (still fairly rectangular) but now it's at 107cm (which is the lowest I can get it starting the chain so tight) It was 97 by row 5 but the difference between row 5 and 20 is less than a cm so its not a widening issue but more the whole thing just elongates on its own.

I have remade this jumper front 6 times now and I still cannot get it to stay anywhere near 94! and because of the popcorn stitches its very time consuming to realize I might have to restart over again :(

I am using the exact yarn and hook size recommended in the pattern and my gauge came out fine when i did it. I am not increasing the stitches I count every row. Just wondering is there anything to solve this?  the top part of the project is kinda tricky to remove stitches on otherwise I would have taken out a few stitches recommended to make it less wide. I just can't fathom how anyone can get this to fit the measurements at all!

Here is the pattern: https://cdn.accentuate.io/4679615545437/12378270040157/l70355a-v1590101938789.pdf

Thanks again for your time!

also sorry i tried to find info on this online but it only deals with widening by increasing stitches or tight foundation chains and uneven tension

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

You want to keep the same tension throughout, so making it tighter or looser, if kept uniformly tensioned, should result a straight-sided rectangle if you are not altering the stitch count.  You don't want to purposely start it tighter or looser and then change tension.  But, having an item get gradually heavier, like a blanket or this sort of blanket-like item in a dense stitch, can make a difference with a person's tension as you get further along.

I just grabbed some scraps of the same weight yarn with a P hook and did a few short rows with the stitch pattern; I didn't go very far but I didn't have any widening, but you didn't either with your swatch.  I have to say what a pain to do this alternating sc+popcorn stitch pattern with 2 strands held together, tho; you have a lot of patience than I'd have had, to have re-done it so many times.  

I don't want you to put off crocheting altogether because of this one pattern; it's a hobby, you're supposed to have fun with it--like the song, "you gotta know when to hold them...know when to walk away", some patterns end up being disappointing and you just have to find one that's more fun to make.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it! I usually keep the tension as even as I can, just the last time I tried I just wanted to see if keeping it fairly tight would help at all which it did minorly.

I did a sleeve with a smaller hook and it made its measurements but the fabric was quite stiff with all the fabric densely together! But I suppose I have to choose between a stiffer finished result or a longer finished result.

I do actually enjoy the process of making it but I do get annoyed at the end when I realize I have to start again :(

Count and count again.......count every row......get the same count.....every time...........see if that helps.......I suspect your stitch count is off......at the end of the row is the area where it's easy enough to get the stitch count off.  Good luck and be safe.

Dont feel bad and give up.  I have crocheted for years and have been working on a prayer shawl in a block stitch pattern and can not get it to come out straight.  I have frogged it enough times to have completed two shawls by now.  Stitch count is correct.  Stitch placement is correct.  Its a tension thing. Found a very similar pattern and so far its working great.