Doll arms

Zalkadia

Question

Hello,  newbie here..   I'm trying to make arms for a doll - so I sc 6,  then it says to increase by three - do I space that out every 2nd stitch or just do the increase in the first three ?   maybe that doesn't matter... anyway - I carry on a few rows, but it starts closing in so much that it gets almost impossible to continue, let alone stuff,  the picture on the pattern looks so perfect... *sigh*   any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?  I've tried a few different needle sizes, but end up in same boat

kind regards

David

Edited by Zalkadia

2 answers to this question

You want to evenly space out your increases.  If you were to make them all next to each other you would get a bulge in that area.  

I have seen people recommend to stuff as you go.  This site has some helpful tips.

Dont know that you are doing anything wrong.  Practice makes perfect.

• Like 1

I agree with BGS that the instructions probably mean to increase evenly, but it depends on where in the arm you are - it might be making an elbow in 1 spot, where you would want a bulge or outer bend in the arm on one side of the arm, and probably decreases on the other side of the arm for the inside bend.  If the arms on the pattern photo are straight, then increase evenly.  (Pattern photos can answer a lot of pattern questions in my experience).

A thought...did you know there were different kinds of hooks?  I learned on tapered hooks, an as a new crocheter I crocheted REALLY tightly, and realized that I was forming the stitches right at the narrowest part of the hook near the tip, instead of beyond the taper to the shaft which is the part that is supposed to 'size' the stitches.  I had to re-learn to move the stitches back where they belong and it worked SO much better.  I am not sure if this applies to those that use in-line hooks, but I thought this was worth mentioning as you said you've tried different sized hooks and they are all too tight, which shouldn't happen if you are working the stitches around the hook shaft.

• Like 1