Crochet newbie perplexed by this pattern

Alison50

Question

Hello Everyone,

very happy to have found you! I’m trying to make this coffee plunger cover and have unraveled it 4 times. I can’t get past the 3rd line safely. What does it mean? I do 4 trc and leave them in the middle of the line? I crochet over the side of them? I couldn’t possibly connect a circle with only 4 trc so why does it say that? Are the 44trc from the next line going on top of them? I’m totally lost. (In the pattern trc means treble crochet. )

• 1 sl st, 45 ch, connect the circle with 1 sl st
  • 1 ch, 44 dc, 1 sl st to connect the circle
  • 2 ch, 4 trc (do NOT connect the circle!)
  • 2 ch (turn around), 44 trc,
  • change color
  • 2 ch (turn around), 44 trc, 1 sl st to connect the circle
  • 2 ch, 44 trc, 1 sl st to connect the circle
  • 2 ch, 13 trc, 1 dc, 1 sl st, 18 ch, jump over 15 and connect with 1 sl st, 1 dc, 12 trc and connect with a sl st
  • 2 ch, 47 trc, 1 sl st to connect the circle
  • 2 ch, 4 trc, skip one, 5 trc, skip one, 5 trc, skip one, 5 trc, skip one, 5 trc, skip one…  until you get around and connect with 1 sl st
  • 2 ch, 3 trc, skip one, 4 trc, skip one, 4 trc, skip one, 4 trc, skip one, 4 trc, skip one… until you get around and connect with 1 sl st
  • 2 ch, 2 trc, skip one, 3 trc, skip one, 3 trc, skip one, 3 trc, skip one, 3 trc, skip one… until you get around and connect with 1 sl st
  • 2 ch,1 trc, skip one, 2 trc, skip one, 2 trc, skip one, 2 trc, skip one, 2 trc, skip one… until you get around and connect with 1 sl st – and then lock.

9A327739-83B2-46DD-93FD-8C90095A813B.thumb.jpeg.45ff9bafff611b4161557f5b4d3783f0.jpeg

4 answers to this question

Patterns do have mistakes and I sort of think you make 44 trc not 4.  Also it appears to be a UK pattern so if you are used to US you need to convert the trc's to dc's and dc's to sc's.

Agree it is in UK terms, as BGS said the 3rd line should say 44 not 4 -- and the pattern may be written by an not native English speaker (or autocorrect got creative on a typo), I happened to notice the last word of the pattern - 'lock' - probably means to fasten off.

The part where you are turning and not connecting the circle is to create a vertical slit to accommodate the handle.

Just throwing this out there, I bought a (basic looking) tea pot to decorate my kitchen with various knit and crochet novelty and holiday covers, but gave up looking for patterns that fit MY teapot- I use the pattern as a starting point but have to tweak to fit my pot.  You might want your coffee press to be handy so you can try the cover on as you go.

Edited by Granny Square