New to crocheting -- how to read foundation row of crocheted toy pattern

DeborahGreene

Question

Hi There! I am rather new to crocheting and I'm struggling with how to interpret the foundation row of a crocheted toy pattern. I have finished all of the other pieces (which use a magic loop), but I am stuck on the head component.

I was wondering if  any of you could provide with me an alternative explanation/wording of the first row (see below). Or a search term I can google to figure out/ see what type of foundation row this is. I can crochet in the round (with the magic loop), and flat. But I'm struggling to parse what type of the foundation row this is, or picture what the completed head should look like. Is it a hollow tube that I sew closed/ how does it come together? 

Any help would be greatly 
appreciated!

Head

Row 1: ch 15, 2sc into 2sc ch, sc 12, 2sc into last ch, turn to other side, sc 12 (28)

Row 2: (2sc, sc) around (42)

Row 3: sc around

Row 4: (2sc, sc 2) around (56)

Row 5: sc around

Row 6: (2sc, sc 3) around (70)

Row 7-19: sc around

Row 20: (dec, sc 5) around (60)

Row 21: (dec, sc 4) around (50)

Row 22: (dec, sc 3) around (40)

Row 24: (dec, sc 2) around (30)

Row 25: (dec, sc) around (20)

FO

*stuff

10 answers to this question

This is an alternate way to make a shape in the round or oval.  Instead of a magic circle you are working around the back side of the chain.

You work the chain as you would a normal chain pattern.  When you get to the end of the chain the directions tell you to work 2sc into the end of the chain and this will line you up to working on the back side of the chain where you will work the rest of your stitches for this row.  Following this it will be like working any other piece you may have started on a magic circle.  The shape is usually a bit different but it allows you to create some different types of shapes.

Crochet spot has great pictures that show the technique here.

Welcome to the 'ville!

"Row 1: ch 15, 2sc into 2sc ch, sc 12, 2sc into last ch, turn to other side, sc 12 (28)"

You are making an oval.  Baily4 just replied as I was typing just now, and I agree with her but would like to re-word "back side of the chain" to "underside of the chain".  We are saying the same thing, but for a moment when I read her post my mind went to 'back bump', which is something different.

Crochetspot (the blog linked to above) has some great tutorials, I'm not a lefty but I like how she has left and right hand versions.

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

"Row 1: ch 15, 2sc into 2sc ch, sc 12, 2sc into last ch, turn to other side, sc 12 (28)"

You are making an oval.  Baily4 just replied as I was typing just now, and I agree with her but would like to re-word "back side of the chain" to "underside of the chain".  We are saying the same thing, but for a moment when I read her post my mind went to 'back bump', which is something different.

Crochetspot (the blog linked to above) has some great tutorials, I'm not a lefty but I like how she has left and right hand versions.

This is why wording is so strange.  When you said underside I thought back bump.:rofl  That's why I went looking for a picture tutorial. 

I have several older ami/stuffed animal patterns that I had when I was first learning to crochet that used this method and I learned it before I learned the magic circle so it never seemed "odd" to me.  It just was another way I saw shapes made from the beginning.  I always struggled with the chain 2 and then put all your stitches into that first stitch method so the magic circle was a huge blessing when I learned it because I didn't end up with gaping holes I had to close when I was done.  I always had a fondness for the patterns that went all the way around the chain because until I learned the magic circle I had to deal with a hole.  Going around, no hole.

I can see why it would be confusing if you've never done it before.  I was working on a pattern the other day that I didn't realize was going to fold into itself and it went around the chain and reading it I will say it threw me because I didn't expect it to shape that way but it worked.

Hmm, didn't think of that 

Maybe a more precise (but verbose) way to say it is 'use the strand or strands of the chain stitches you didn't use on the first pass, that are on the underside of the stiches you just made, so at the end all the chain strands will be used'.  

I guess it is what you are used to reading.  I just learned it as working down the back side of the chain so it is what I'm used to and still see patterns written that way so clearly it is still done.  I've never seen an underside but thankfully if I do I won't be confused. :hug

There you go! :hook 

This is one time where a video or photo tutorial is called for the first time you encounter the technique.  It really is a bit mind bending at first.

PS, totally agree about the adjustable ring, that was a game changer.  You can pull it closed for the top of a hat, or sometimes for doilies I have to open them up to give me bit more height to keep it flat, depending on the pattern.

Edited by Granny Square

I think it's a point of view thing - all the ways we're saying it aren't wrong, they're just different ways of saying the same thing.

I guess my point of view is, working into stitches the 'usual' way, you make row 2 into the top of, or 'heads' of the stitches of row 1.  So in a way, the top of the stitch in row 1 is it's 'head', and the stitch made into it in row 2 is standing on the the head of the stitch in row 1; their heads are pointed the same way. 

But working around the starting chain of an oval, the second half of the oval is made into the 'feet' of the first half, and the stitches are not pointed the same way--their 'feet' are together.  That is radically different.

The reason I stay away from 'other side' or 'back' when describing the first round of an oval is to avoid any confusion with 'back bump' or 'right side/wrong side' or 'front/back' of the fabric.  Opposite side of the chain is pretty clear too, tho.