Lost on next steps with baby bootie

MelRose

Question

Hi everyone. I'm new to crotchet and this is the most complex thing I've tried so far. I am pretty confused about what I am supposed to do next for this bootie. My finger is on the end of the instep piece which is completed. What does 'sew back seam' mean? Am I supposed to connect the cuff and the instep and seam them together?  I'm also confused about where it's wanting me to place the next stitch in the 'Foot' section. Any help appreciated. Tried to find a video but couldn't find a similar design to compare. 

Screenshot_20210424-160639.png

PXL_20210424_200504716.MP.jpg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  It appears to be this pattern, right? https://www.yarnspirations.com/bernat-babys-booties-crochet-pattern/BRC0206-007839M.html  (sometimes it helps to see the finished item).  If it is, and the part at the bottom of your photo is the cuff, it does not appear that you worked the SC in the back loop - normally cuffs are done in ribbing , a very corrugated fabric /\/\/\/\/\ (like the pattern photo), and this pattern tells you to work the cuff in rows of SC in the back loop - meaning instead of putting your hook under the top 2 loops of a stitch, you put your hook under the loop that is the farthest away from you - this is the back loop. 

Ohhhh....I see where you may have erred next, and this part is in your scan above.  Where it says "foot, first row: work 23(25, 27) stitches evenly along edge of cuff, turn."  If a pattern says to work x number of stitches evenly across y stitches (in your case x new stitches is fewer than the y stitches to be worked over), it means to spread x stitches across as evenly as you can.  Sometimes (usually) you can't be exactly even (like skip or double up every other stitch).  Making up a number that might be sort of close, it looks like you made 25 stitches along the side of the ribbing (that follows the middle bootie size), and the ribbing might be 32 rows (I'm less sure of that number by squinting at it, but let's just use it for math demo purposes).  32 minus 25 is 7.  To spread out 25 sts over 32, you need  to skip 7, or SC2together 7 times.  32 divided by 7 is 4.57, a messy number, but it means you need to skip somewhere between 4 and 5 stitches before skipping or combining one one, so what you will need to do is alternate skipping "more or less" over every 4th stitch, then 5th stitch to the end, but not exactly that because of the fraction.   When it is only a short span like 32 stitches, I like to 'draw a picture' ...below is 32 stitches and one solution, V is 2 sc into 1 sc, x is 1 sc into 1 sc.  The below is not the only solution but but gives you an idea.  To be clear, the x and V add up to 32 if I did this right.

xxxVxxxVxxxVxxxVxxxxVxxxVxxxxVxx

Ahhh......thank you guys so much!!! That is the same pattern on the video. Super helpful. I may just restart this project at this point, but at least now I have a better idea what to do!

Edited by MelRose