Double sc stitch from 1915 pattern

debscodas

I am working on a pattern from 1915 for baby booties. The original pattern makes up to a 12 month old using size 20 cotton and 1.5mm hook. Too large for my purpose (I want a newborn size). So I am adapting it. I am using my favorite sole pattern and moving on from there. I making the upper using the antique pattern that calls for a "double sc" st. I have never used this st and consulted modern source for the execution, but it is different from what is described in the old pattern. They direct you "To make dsc insert hook into first stitch of previous row, pull thread through, YO, pull through 1 loop only. This forms a little Ch. YO again and pull through the 2 loops on hook. Insert hook into the little Ch. and work off like ordinary sc"

I love the texture of this st! It could be used with yarn too. What do you think? Are you familiar with this old-fashioned st? Would you use it for texture?

IMG_4352.jpg

It's an interesting stitch!  In old crochet patterns and stitch 'how-to' books I've seen at Antique Pattern Library from the 1840s or so, there are a lot of stitches you don't see any more.  I was even surprised to find what we now call a foundation sc or extended sc, (although it was called something else) to which this looks sort of related.

Yes it is an extended sc with a twist. After extending the sc, you make a regular sc in the loop created by the esc, thus the double sc = esc = sc. So clever!

I have a bonnet pattern from circa 1910 with what they call "automobile st". There is a modern equivalent to it. It goes fast thus "automobile" concept in 1910?

Thank you for the link!