Bobble cape

Nina Schmidt

Question

Pattern asking to do

ch4,skip nxt st,[1dc in nxt,ch1,skip1st].

Then do [2DC,1INC]

My question is where do I place this 2dc inc, in?  in the hole made by chain? And 1 dc in each post....bcause pattern is increasing.

Or is it only just 2 dc in this hole to increase?

I still end up with the beginning base stitches of 90, so is not increasing. Therefore,  I should be crocheting more than 2dc,1inc.

Confused, 

Tks

Question#2

**wool is multicolor and worked on the round, and at each finish of round, color creates this jagged look....not switching yarn....since its one multicolor  yarn....

How to avoid the drastic loopy look, up and down effect?

8 answers to this question

I am going to answer Question 2 first, and will freely admit I really dislike multicolored yarn because it is inappropriate for most patterns for the reason you are questioning - in most situations it looks awful because the colors transition in ugly ways.  I'd rather work in controlled stripes or colorwork with solid colored yarn.  If you are working in rounds where you connect the last stitch to the first, and chain up you might try alternating 1 round of the variegated yarn with 1 round of a plain color, either one of the colors in the variegated group or a plain white or black or other neutral that would go with the variegated--it might help to lessen the 'jagged look'.

Question 1A-"ch4,skip nxt st,[1dc in nxt,ch1,skip1st]."  I'm not sure this is a question, however I think [1dc in nxt,ch1,skip1st] is probably a repeat, does it say "x times" after the last bracket?

Question 1B-generally when a pattern says "2 DC" without specifically telling you where to put them,  it means 1 DC into each of the following x stitches. 

So "2 DC, INC" normally means "1 DC in each of the next 2 stitches (whatever sort of stitches they are in the prior row), INC in the next stitch".  I'm at a loss of how to answer your question 'where do I put the stitches' because I don't know what stitches are in the prior round, or how they are placed.  Normally if it says 'skip 1 stitch' it means skip whatever the next stitch in the prior round is - whether it is a foundation chain or a single stitch like a DC, or the top stitch of an increase which creates 1 stitch top out of 2 or more stitches.

On 3/16/2021 at 11:37 AM, Granny Square said:

I am going to answer Question 2 first, and will freely admit I really dislike multicolored yarn because it is inappropriate for most patterns for the reason you are questioning - in most situations it looks awful because the colors transition in ugly ways.  I'd rather work in controlled stripes or colorwork with solid colored yarn.  If you are working in rounds where you connect the last stitch to the first, and chain up you might try alternating 1 round of the variegated yarn with 1 round of a plain color, either one of the colors in the variegated group or a plain white or black or other neutral that would go with the variegated--it might help to lessen the 'jagged look'.

Question 1A-"ch4,skip nxt st,[1dc in nxt,ch1,skip1st]."  I'm not sure this is a question, however I think [1dc in nxt,ch1,skip1st] is probably a repeat, does it say "x times" after the last bracket?

Question 1B-generally when a pattern says "2 DC" without specifically telling you where to put them,  it means 1 DC into each of the following x stitches. 

So "2 DC, INC" normally means "1 DC in each of the next 2 stitches (whatever sort of stitches they are in the prior row), INC in the next stitch".  I'm at a loss of how to answer your question 'where do I put the stitches' because I don't know what stitches are in the prior round, or how they are placed.  Normally if it says 'skip 1 stitch' it means skip whatever the next stitch in the prior round is - whether it is a foundation chain or a single stitch like a DC, or the top stitch of an increase which creates 1 stitch top out of 2 or more stitches.

You took time to answer thank you.

Got it, thanks about tip multicolor yarn, yes now I realized it is a pain to work with it.

Question 1A: it is a repeat pattern, it says to repeat to end of round, which I did.ch4,skip nxt st[1dc in nxt,ch1,skip1]

The nxt round, that follows the repeat pattern above ^  is my question, it says to do [2dc,1inc]. Do I place 2dc in the whole or space made by the chain and then do 1dc in the post made by the DC in the above pattern? Thus way us increased.

Foundation stitches were 90, up to this point, now its obvious I increase, but doing 2dc in one space.....still ends up in 90 foundation stitches....so where am I missing the increase? Therefore, I assume I need to do the 2dc required where the chain space was crocheted, and 1dc in one of the crocheted post....sorry not sure how else to explain. This way I end up with more than 90 foundation stitches.

I wished pattern mentioned how many stitches end of e/round...but it doesn't. I hope you reach back. Tks for your help

In order to be of much help we need more information.  If its a free pattern on the internet please post the link.  If its a purchased pattern you can type out a few rows and not be in violation of copyright.  You need to exactly type out the instructions for the entire row in question and the previous row. Otherwise we have no idea what you are trying to work the row in question into. Punctuation and context is everything in figuring out patterns. Sad to say there are a lot of unconventionally written patterns out there that force us to make best guesses on what to do.

My best guess for  [2dc,1inc] is this. Since 1 inc means make 2 stitches into 1 space or 1 stitch of previous row  2 dc, in this case means make 1 dc into stitch or space of previous row, then make another dc in the next stitch or space.  I would guess the inc stitches are dc since the stitches prior were dc.  You repeat only what is in the brackets. The pattern should tell you if you are to work into a space.  

This is what I would try

dc in stitch/space of previous row

dc in next stitch/space of previous row

2dc in next stitch/space of previous row

Repeat this entire sequence to end of row or number of times specified after the brackets.

Edited by bgs

I would imagine your cape is going to be a portion-of-a circle(ish) shape--at least most items called capes I've seen are that way.  Unless it is a ruana or serape style?  Which is mostly a rectangle with a slit somewhere but might have a little neck shaping.

As BGS said, if we could see a pic of it at least if it's a purchased pattern, or see the pattern if its a free one one the internet, it would help us get our heads around "where the pattern is going" to help guide you better.  

If it's a circle-ish shape, If you are starting neck down, you would need to increase in some scheme down to the hem (since you mentioned increasing, this is probably made top-down).  If starting hem up, you'd need to decrease to the neck end.  The initial foundation row count of 90 is out the window after your first increase is made in the following row.

It is a nice touch when a designer gives the end-of-row count, but it is a sort of recent 'thing' I believe, and more exception than the rule.  I learned to crochet decades ago, with patterns that were vintage even then, and patterns were much more terse.

20 hours ago, bgs said:

In order to be of much help we need more information.  If its a free pattern on the internet please post the link.  If its a purchased pattern you can type out a few rows and not be in violation of copyright.  You need to exactly type out the instructions for the entire row in question and the previous row. Otherwise we have no idea what you are trying to work the row in question into. Punctuation and context is everything in figuring out patterns. Sad to say there are a lot of unconventionally written patterns out there that force us to make best guesses on what to do.

My best guess for  [2dc,1inc] is this. Since 1 inc means make 2 stitches into 1 space or 1 stitch of previous row  2 dc, in this case means make 1 dc into stitch or space of previous row, then make another dc in the next stitch or space.  I would guess the inc stitches are dc since the stitches prior were dc.  You repeat only what is in the brackets. The pattern should tell you if you are to work into a space.  

This is what I would try

dc in stitch/space of previous row

dc in next stitch/space of previous row

2dc in next stitch/space of previous row

Repeat this entire sequence to end of row or number of times specified after the brackets.

8 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I would imagine your cape is going to be a portion-of-a circle(ish) shape--at least most items called capes I've seen are that way.  Unless it is a ruana or serape style?  Which is mostly a rectangle with a slit somewhere but might have a little neck shaping.

As BGS said, if we could see a pic of it at least if it's a purchased pattern, or see the pattern if its a free one one the internet, it would help us get our heads around "where the pattern is going" to help guide you better.  

If it's a circle-ish shape, If you are starting neck down, you would need to increase in some scheme down to the hem (since you mentioned increasing, this is probably made top-down).  If starting hem up, you'd need to decrease to the neck end.  The initial foundation row count of 90 is out the window after your first increase is made in the following row.

It is a nice touch when a designer gives the end-of-row count, but it is a sort of recent 'thing' I believe, and more exception than the rule.  I learned to crochet decades ago, with patterns that were vintage even then, and patterns were much more terse.

Yes, it starts top to bottom.  Yes, 90 stitches out the window as soon as increase starts, thats the point, I dont expect to end with 90 stitches. But when I do the 2dc, 1inc,....still end up with 90 stitches. I do know 2dc is to crochet  1dc in the same stitch twice....in this case the space or hole of the previous round.

Doing this step gives me 90 stitches  with no increase...thats why...I don't get it. Pattern does not tell you where to place stitches.

Its by hobbii.com.......fandango bobble cape. Its a free pattern

I do know 2dc is to crochet  1dc in the same stitch twice"  No----2 dc means crochet 1 dc into 1 stitch or space 1 time, then crochet another dc into the next stitch or space 1 time.

inc means to make 2 dc into 1 stitch or space---because you are making an increase every third stitch if you started with 90 stitches you should have 120 stitches at end of this round

If I found the right pattern here are instructions 

R12: Ch 4, skip next st, [1 dc in next, ch 1, skip 1 st]. Repeat to the end of the round.
R13: Sizes XS, S, M, L: [2 dc, 1 inc]. Repeat to the end of the round.
Sizes XL, 2XL, 3XL, 4XL: [1dc, 1 inc] to the end of the round.

Looks like for the size you are doing on row 13 you should be working 1 dc into dc on row 12, 1dc into chain space on row 12, 2dc into next dc of row 12 repeat this sequence around.

Pattern should have told you to work into chain spaces.  I looked at the photo of the cape on pattern and saw stitches worked into chain spaces.

15 minutes ago, bgs said:

I do know 2dc is to crochet  1dc in the same stitch twice"  No----2 dc means crochet 1 dc into 1 stitch or space 1 time, then crochet another dc into the next stitch or space 1 time.

inc means to make 2 dc into 1 stitch or space---because you are making an increase every third stitch if you started with 90 stitches you should have 120 stitches at end of this round

If I found the right pattern here are instructions 

R12: Ch 4, skip next st, [1 dc in next, ch 1, skip 1 st]. Repeat to the end of the round.
R13: Sizes XS, S, M, L: [2 dc, 1 inc]. Repeat to the end of the round.
Sizes XL, 2XL, 3XL, 4XL: [1dc, 1 inc] to the end of the round.

Looks like for the size you are doing on row 13 you should be working 1 dc into dc on row 12, 1dc into chain space on row 12, 2dc into next dc of row 12 repeat this sequence around.

Pattern should have told you to work into chain spaces.  I looked at the photo of the cape on pattern and saw stitches worked into chain spaces.

😃😃😃😃😃😃🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️thank you!!!

Been racking my brains.. will give it a try asap

Hoping this works out Nina-- I apologize, I just realized my wording was unclear earlier, in my first post, where I said: 

"Question 1B-generally when a pattern says "2 DC" without specifically telling you where to put them,  it means 1 DC into each of the following x stitches. "

That was an editing failure on my part, I meant to say:

"generally when a pattern says "x DC" without specifically telling you where to put them,  it means 1 DC into each of the following x stitches"